New PrimaLuna versus used Audio Research preamp?

As posted previously, I'm shopping tube preamps.

Have an opportunity to buy a friend's ARC Reference 5SE, as he upgraded to a new 6SE.

Alternatively, a new PL EVO 300 or 400 is also on my radar, and even new would cost 20% to 30% less than the used 5SE.

Anyone here experience both units and brands?

Thanks!

bobbydd

Safebelayer I laughed at your post. You obviously have a beef with Kevin and Primaluna? I would ignore his opinions OP.  I've bought and sold tons of gear over the years and I can politely say Primaluna is very good especially at its price point and it's definitely not boring.  Rolling tubes does change the flavor of this preamp. To many people will agree. 

A friend and I compared the Primaluna to the ARC LS-28 at a store last week. The LS-28 was better. The Ref 5SE is supposed to be better than the LS-28.

I have never owned a PL, but have heard them, I think I would go with a Rogue before I did a PL.  I had an LS-27, loved it, but upgraded to REF 6.  With SS amplifiers, it has tight bass, soundstage, and clarity.  I do not see a need to upgrade again (unless tubes dry up).  Even if they were comparable products, I have been burned by so many Chinese products, I would go American all the way.