Dynaudio - Made in China vs Denmark

Hi,

I  recently Purchased a new pair of Dynaudios. The floor model I auditioned were 'Made in Denmark' but the pair which was shipped out by the dealer was 'Made in China'. They are still boxed. Whats should I do:

1. Swap with the showroom floor model (they were probably a yr or 2 old)

2. Unbox and use my 'Made in china' pair ?

My main concern here is the quality of the product from China. Resale values.

Anyone with experience please chime in. 

ryanhere

If the concern is a resale value in the future, it could be the issue, because for sure there will be more China originated speakers than made in Denmark ones. Floor / display pair should have discount, you may try to negotiate. 

I’ve seen very good and very bad things PRC made, for example all Apple products I have are made in China, no complains!

As others have mentioned, many quality items manufactured/produced in PRC, depends on quality demanded by company outsourcing.

And, oh by the way, nearly every audio component is falsely advertised as product of whatever country, you'll find PRC and various other nation's components within all. Purity in one's sense of values/principles is violated by one's very existence in this material world..

If the price between the made in China speakers and the made in Denmark speakers remained the same, who benefited?  Clue, it wasn’t the consumer who benefited from the lower cost of manufacturing.

I realize this is a few days 'late' and a bit too long, but I just haven't had the time to reply until now.

The OP has asked if the value will hold as well as 'other' Dyn's made in Denmark.

--TLDR; - The answer is no, they will not. Just look at the values of the newest Contour line vs the 'older' Contour line. - The 60's are just not holding their value the same. Whereas my 'older' Contours are still increasing in value.--

I have had Dynaudio products for the last 25 years. Currently I have 3 systems in which all 3 have Dyn's at the end of them. They are all Contour series prior to 2014.

I am also in the process of trying to find C4's MKii or Evidence for my Main system (All prior to 2014).

Dynaudio was purchased in either 2014 or 2015 by a gentleman from the Bay Area who is Chinese. (His ethnicity matters not) - Whenever this happens the new owners always think they can cut costs somewhere, and that is exactly what they did. They introduced what they claim are 'better' drivers in newer cabinets. - ALL RUBBISH. I am not saying they don't sound good, I am saying they sound very different from the earlier Dyn's. And, crucially, all of the Dynaudio fans prior to the exchange know it because we have ears. My dealer that I have been using for ages has actually dropped Dynaudio as a result.

The drivers in the newer series are actually smaller and they claim better. They are also voiced different. I have only heard this on the Counters and not the new Confidence line, but from the other Dynaudio people I know who have tried them all agree. The newer ones sound good, But they have lost the Dynaudio magic. 

I don't know of anyone who I have been associated with that have Dyn's over the years that have tried the newer series that have kept them. Every one of them have swapped back over to the older series when they could find them.

That should tell you everything you need to know.

Appologies for the late reply, and I hope this helps

As the US Distributor of YBA, a few thoughts...

1. YBA has always been clear their products are designed by Yves-Bernard Andre in France

2. Yves-Bernard continues as Chief Designer of ALL YBA products

3. Yves-Bernard continues as part of the YBA ownership team based in Hong Kong

4. Yves-Bernard oversees/trains ALL YBA production and personally QC all Signature production although COVID-1984 has limited the latter

Sadly, many audio companies avoid clearly stating & acknowledging country of production. Kudos to Dynaudio for at least indicating on cartons. The key is training/managing the production staff to adhere to QC principles as implemented in home country.