A perfect song? What are your choices?

Can there be such a thing as a perfect song? I have a suggestion, what are yours? Here is a thought...

128x128falconquest

+1 “Don’t Dream It’s Over” Crowded House 

”Undun” Guess Who

”Autumn Leaves” Eva Cassidy

Excellent recommendation @mitchagain! Poptopia includes "Starry Eyes" by The Records, a song written by drummer Will Birch and John Wicks, the latter of whom I had the pleasure of working with live. Also included is "Rock ’n’ Roll Girl" by The Beat, a great live band whose debut album is fantastic Power Pop! Leader/singer/songwriter/rhythm guitarist Paul Collins had earlier been in The Nerves, a group whose other members were Peter Case and Jack Lee (writer of Blondie's hit "Hangin’ On The Telephone"). Their 7" 4-song EP is now worth a coupla hundred bucks. My copy is not for sale ;-) . Rhino also put out Best Of The Girl Groups Volumes 1 & 2 (on CD), which are chock full of great Pop songs.

I’ve mentioned this one before, but it bears repeating: "I’m Sorry (But So Is Brenda Lee)", as perfect a song as I have heard. Written by Ben Vaughn, recorded by Marshall Crenshaw (himself an excellent songwriter).

Speaking of Pop, there is the incredible "Fresh As A Daisy" by Emitt Rhodes, easily as good a song as anything McCartney has written. His first s/t record is a perfect album, imo better than McCartney’s solo debut. Both play and sing every part on those debut albums, but Emitt had the better songs, and was a much better drummer (his professional debut---while still in High School---was as the drummer in SoCal group The Palace Guard). Is it tacky of me to mention that I also worked with Emitt (live and in the studio)? ;-

Sadly, both John Wicks and Emitt Rhodes are now singing in the Heavenly choir. :-(

@bdp24 - I agree that Starry Eyes by The Records is a power pop classic.

My best discovery from those Poptopia CD's both came from Volume 3 (90's):

1) Jessica Something - The Tearaways

2) Proto - Pretty - Wondermints

The Wondermints have been part of Brian Wilson's touring band since 1999.

@bdp24 - I remember that Emmitt Rhodes album - that kind of singer/songwriter stuff was very popular when I was in college in the early 70's, and it did come out around the same time as Macca's first. 

Also agree that 'Starry Eyes' is a classic. My fave power-pop band though was the Smithereens, out of Buffalo, NY.... 

That Is Why - Jellyfish (Jeez, how could I have forgotten this one?)

I Wanted To Tell You - Matthew Sweet

Tell Your Sister - Lloyd Cole

In addition to appearing on each other's records in the early 90's, Lloyd and Matthew were also both using Fred Maher on drums and Richard Lloyd on guitar. No wonder they made some of their best records during this period!