TT or cartridge upgrade?

Hey all! I have a Technics SL 1600 with upgraded interconnects and a Grado G1+cart that was retipped (original was toast) a couple hundred hours ago. Sounds pretty good to me, especially on well recorded lps. I know I can do better however.. My question is, would I be better served to start looking at different cartridges or different tables? The Grado sounds much better than the MP-110 I tried, but that is as far as I have gone. I did order a Dynavector 10x5 but it was damaged so didn't get to hear that one. Am I wasting money/time trying to extract as much as possible from the old Technics? I see there are options out there around 1k for Rega, Marantz, etc which have good reviews and that would be my budget. I  like vintage stuff, but am not married to it. I have a Sam Kim modded Eico HF81 integrated running through a Furman Elite 15 and Klipsch Fortes with Crites crossovers and ti tweeters. Thanks for taking the time

R

rman227

I used to sell Technics tables and Grado cartridges (among lots of others). But I never sold a Technics table with a Grado, the combination always sounded a bit 'heavy' or leaded to me. It's a shame you had a bad experience with the Dynavector, I think you would have found that a better match and sound.

So, you can go three ways, 1) keep the table and try again with a new cartridge (I'd suggest a MC, but your integrated can't power one). 2) get a new table and use the Grado (I always liked Grado cartridges and that is a nice one) or go whole hog and upgrade both. I however doubt a $1K table with a would really sound that much  'better', different yes, but not a big upgrade in sound.

Only my opinion, but keep the table and upgrade the cartridge. Unless you're willing spend $3-5K on a new table and cartridge. By the way, I now have a Rega P6 with their MC cartridge and love it. It replaced an old AR table mounted with various Grado, Shure and Micro-Acoustic cartridges for 30 years. I understand your like of vintage. If the AR hadn't died, I would still be using it.

Hope my experience is a little helpful. 

Appreciate the response deadhead1000! Question....were the Technics/Grado combos you heard as heavy run through SS or tube? How about horn speakers? Just trying to dig a little deeper into your experience and trying to understand synergy between components a little better. Thanks 

You need to take turn from Technics Ave to Thorens Ave and go straight forward till you find and build your dream Thorens. I did that long time ago and never looked back