Ready to pull the trigger on a DD turntable: Technics SL-1210GR or Pioneer PLX1000???

I had the Technics SL-1210GR in the shopping cart, and had my credit card out.  Then I thought I'd take a look at Agon forums and see what people were saying.  I saw a lot of good reviews on the Technics, but people really liked the Pioneer too, and it's less than half the price!

Either way I went, I was going to match them up with an Ortofon 2M Bronze or Black.  Whatever cart I select, it will be plugged into a fully restored Marantz 7c, or an Audio Research SP-9.

Now, I appreciate belt drive turntables.  In another life, I was a factory rep for Thorens and B&O.  I made my living in the late '70s by bashing Japanese direct drive turntables. I myself have a beautiful Thorens TD-160.   It's over 40 years old, and now my preferences have changed.  I like torque, running a dust brush without the table slowing down.  I like the instant startup.  I think "s" shaped tonearms, speed strobes, and cuing lights are sexy.  And "good" direct drive tables sound good to me.

So what do you think?  I can easily afford to buy either turntable.  I gotta say if you go to the Technics website, they have a very impressive pitch on the 1200 series being hand built by Japanese craftsmen.  Pretty cool story.  But that may not add up to it sounding any better than the Pioneer.  I'm still a bit of a value shopper.  

On the low end, I could do a Pioneer 1000 /Ortofon Bronze combo for $1140, or the full meal deal Technics with Bronze or Black for $2,040-$2300.   Will there be a big pop in performance??  

Thanks!
tweak48
And Technics was out of business at the time when Pioneer jumped in and made those turntables, they are not bad when you compare to OLD Technics SL1200/1210, but please stop living in illusion that you can compare Pioneer to the BRAND NEW Technics with coreless motor like G or GR series, because those models are not cheap, they are made for critical listeners (not for djs).

Wow great write up!  Very informative.  For all the reasons you pointed out, I ordered a SL-1210GR last night.  And I'm confident it was the right decision.  

But, I gotta say, if I was shopping in the sub-$800 turntable market, the PLX-1000 would be at the top of my list.  The product information sheet is very impressive.  https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81sZ1WyEWkL.pdf

Now, I'll defer to the turntable experts on this forum, but compared to some of the so called "audiophile" turntables I see being marketed with MDF plinths, and low voltage, low current, wall wort power supplies, built in preamps and USB ports, the PLX-1000 (to me) looks like more of a serious product and like one hell of a value.

And who gives a damn if Pioneer reverse engineered the SL1200 mkII?  That was a pretty high standard.  As a hi-fi salesman while in college, i sold the living hell out SL1200s.  All to hi-fi guys.  The disco scene just wasn't a big thing in where I lived in 1973.  But hifi was.  And all my buddys had a nice stereo.  

But I know I'm a bit of a contrarian, so the SL-1210GR will suit me just fine.  Great thread.  Thanks to everyone.  

Thinking about the plx1000 now as I’ve realized the Technics Tables may not be what they used to be.

OP ….just want to respectfully address your “being hand built by Japanese craftsmen” statement. Unfortunately, this is no longer true….according to their dealer announcements, ALL Technics turntables are now being built in Malaysia.

I’ve not auditioned the plx1000 yet…but suspect that it sounds AT LEAST as good as my previous 1200MK2….and my recently returned ( QC reasons) 1500c.

Anyway…Bump for more accounts from people who’ve ACTUALLY EXPERIENCED the PLX 1000…. As I’m close to pulling the trigger!

For what it’s worth, the PLX-1000 is my first TT, paired with a Nagaoka MP-150. After owning it a year, I added a Jelco 750D, and Jelco tonearm cable, the Nag 150 seemed to pair well to the Jelco, I heard a big improvement. Then I found a Herron 2 pre for sale locally, wow that really improved things, albeit overkill for my cheap table. The Herron lifted a veil, and reduced surface noise. I recently added springs below the table platform, more improvement.  
I’m having fun, and  happy with the sound of my records. The Pioneer is not my forever table, but it was inexpensive, sounds pretty good,  and allowed me to modify without fear — I cut a hole in the bottom to accommodate new arm/cable, ruining resale value; but I don’t care, I’m learning a lot. The PLX-1000 is a good place to start, a good reference point that I will use to judge my next table. 
~Tom in Sacramento 

@4hannons …. Tom…I love this

“…The Pioneer is not my forever table, but it was inexpensive, sounds pretty good, and allowed me to modify without fear — I cut a hole in the bottom to accommodate new arm/cable, ruining resale value; but I don’t care, I’m learning a lot….”

I too wouldn’t mind horsing around with this table a bit… My present table will likely outperform (to these ears,anyway ) anything short of the 1200G…so it would be more for fun. (I am open to the Plx1000 making me forsake all others…but pretty sure that won’t happen…but man that’d be nice 😊)