I wasn’t sure where to classify this…

So this isn’t specifically audio focused, but people here understand things like

power management, THD and so on.

I moved from So-Cal where all I had to worry about was having a UPS for a 30 second or less power outage.  Now I live in So-Alabama where hurricanes could potentially take power out for up to 2 weeks!

in said situation, whole house backup generators are extremely

pricey!  I have a regular construction generator I want to use as an emergency backup, as well as a battery backup UPS on my computer.

this is a non-inverter generator, so it’s dirty power.  lol my

UPS protect my computer etc, and regulate the large THD issues, or do I need something to help adapt?  Since this is for backup, and I don’t plan to run my high end theater equipment on it, it’s merely asking advise on equipment that would help me not fry my computer in a 5-10 day power outage with dirty power.  Is the UPC enough?  Do I need more?

maverick3n1

@riley804 You are absolutely correct, you aren't forced to retrofit an old home with a whole house surge suppressor, but they are inexpensive and worthwhile.  Mine was ~ $150  

If you absolutely refuse to plug your amps into anything but the wall this is the least you should do.

maverick, you asked about temporary power for sensitive electronics, or so it seemed to me. The Honda EU series are inverter generators that will provide clean power for those items.

@builder3 ET AL

A good alternative to the Honda is the Predator inverter generator at a lot lesser price. They are sold by Harbor Freight. But I must say that HF has greatly improved the quality of their tools with their store brand higher priced items. I have a 3500 watt inverter generator which has a 56db noise level from the motor. Outside the front door, I can barely hear it. Now the bigger ones do have more DB ratings. But still around 70 for the 9500 watt that they have just came out with which is their biggest IG.I can highly recommend them from my experience. I am considering another one to go with the 3500 I already own

I have an inverter generator but it’s only 3000w and it’s gas only.  An inverter generator that will kick out 6000+ watts would cost thousands of dollars.  If I could afford to go that route, I might as well install a permanent whole home backup generator.

the point is, I already have a generator that will do 6800w running on propane, so rather than spend thousands of dollars on a different generator, it makes

more sense to spend a few hundred on something that will filter the noise and balance the voltage.  If a UPS does that, then I’m set, but if it doesn’t, I need a solution that doesn’t involve replacing my perfectly good existing $1000 generator with a new $3000 generator.

Eaton brand Pure Sinewave re-generators are all over eBay used. they will take the 120VAC 60hz from the generator, turn it into DC, and then back into perfectly regulated 120VAC at 60Hz.

they can also be used on your audio system, all day long, every day. that is what they are for. they are back up generators, industrial, commercial, bullet proof..designed to recreate the 120VAC all day long and switch to making it off a battery supply if the power goes out.

Thus they are perfect for multi use. For cleaning up emergency generator power and for cleaning up your regular AC coming from the power company, and for blackouts/flicker/etc via their own internal battery systems, which can be expanded. Or run off of battery-solar combos.