I wasn’t sure where to classify this…

So this isn’t specifically audio focused, but people here understand things like

power management, THD and so on.

I moved from So-Cal where all I had to worry about was having a UPS for a 30 second or less power outage.  Now I live in So-Alabama where hurricanes could potentially take power out for up to 2 weeks!

in said situation, whole house backup generators are extremely

pricey!  I have a regular construction generator I want to use as an emergency backup, as well as a battery backup UPS on my computer.

this is a non-inverter generator, so it’s dirty power.  lol my

UPS protect my computer etc, and regulate the large THD issues, or do I need something to help adapt?  Since this is for backup, and I don’t plan to run my high end theater equipment on it, it’s merely asking advise on equipment that would help me not fry my computer in a 5-10 day power outage with dirty power.  Is the UPC enough?  Do I need more?

maverick3n1

maverick3n1-

Congrats for making it to the "finish line."

Looks like you're locked and loaded for some reasonably comfy listening sessions in peace.

Enjoy!

I'm in Long Beach, and gonna check out  The Show today and listen to unobtanium setups I wish to own for my retirement setup.

@riley804 - You are absolutely right. I bring this up because it is a good recommendation to consider one. The NEC has recognized our reliance on automation and more electronics. Washers, which used to use mechanical timers for instance now use CPUs to manage the wash cycle. The main panel is also the IDEAL place to put a shunt style surge device.

There’s a Wired or Wirecutter article on surge suppressors and they recommended Furman with LiFT / SMP as being the best at protecting sensitive gear. Of course, I use both, as recommended in the NEC and the whole house manufacturer and because I live in South Carolina.

As an audiophile I try to keep my PC and high noise digital devices away from my stereo. 

@erik_squires 

reason i ask this as don’t want members to think that they have to have this done, which they don’t unless one of those three things has been done and then it’s required.

because I live in South Carolina.

i thought you were west coast?

@riley804 You are absolutely correct, you aren't forced to retrofit an old home with a whole house surge suppressor, but they are inexpensive and worthwhile.  Mine was ~ $150  

If you absolutely refuse to plug your amps into anything but the wall this is the least you should do.