Turntable sub $4k buy decisions too many.

Good day fellow enthusiasts.

I’m moving away (sold) from my VPI Prime 21/ Koetsu Black combo to down size as my Aurender A10 is doing 90% of the music duties in my place now. I’ve been looking at tables in the sub $4k range and wow so many choices.

I’ve eliminated the Project, Technics, Rega and Thorns tables in this price range for various reasons. mostly due to looks if I was totally honest and yes looks has its thing in my house, it will sit in a prominent spot in my living area (open loft). similarly no black box’s.

If i was honest i wasn’t happy with the VPI table-Koetsu black gold line combo it was a little lack luster and frankly the quality of the VPI was not what I expected, tonearm lift didn’t work smoothly and stuck constantly, tonearm was not vertically straight with no way to adjust with out shims (gimbaled arm maybe i missed something in the set up) motor chatter every time you start if you forget to help it move etc. anyway its sold moving on. and no I don’t want a less $ one.

I’ve looked at many and had slipped upward some in my original $3k price bracket.

Tables i know i have access to through my dealers and are considering:

Clear Audio concept dark wood with Satisfy tonearm v2 cart package.

Oracle Paris with their reworked project 9 arm, in red :-). i like the hidden suspension system. ITS RED.

Acoustic Solid, Classic Wood with Rega made 330 arm. Or no arm. Canadian distributor now for this 10 year old German company.

Acoustic Solid, 113 Bubinga. ok this is just beautiful if not slightly over my budget but does it do the part as well.

Sota cosmos, maybe sapphire but that’s in the stretch area.

I may stretch for a few if compelled.

Transrotor entry tables have been recommended, maybe

Kuzma

Who have I missed to look into? Why would you not go with any of the above? Why would you go for something else?

If i get no arm option who’s arms are people recommending now in the sub $2k range?

there’s really not much on the used market right now but that’s an option as well.

Associated equipment:

McIntosh C2700 preamp, I’ll be using the internal tube phono stage. It bested my Gold Note PH10

McIntosh 275 Tube amp

Spendor D9.2 Speakers. very detail speakers....

I have a VDH MC10 MC cart and Sound Smith MI cart now but the VDH need a rebuild. so I'm open to a new cart or package. 

Thanks for your input and have a fine day my friends.

Glen N

128x128glennewdick
unreceivedogma: Why do i want to see your set up? I sold my VPI set up to down size. 

mijostyn; I had the JMW gimbaled arm. 

Again thank everyone. 

I have since ordered the Acoustic Solid 113 Bubinga table with a Sorane TA-1 tonearm.  upgraded from the rega 330 arm. at half the cost of the VPI set up.  little more then i wanted to spend but I have to admit i got hooked on the Bubinga over the lower cost classic wood table. yes I'm a sucker for looks as well as sound. 

Solid 113 Bubinga – Acoustic Solid (acoustic-solid.com)

I really love Bubinga. Really beautiful wood. I will be really interested in hearing your impressions of the sound. 

That's a sweet looking table. About how much was the setup with the Sorane arm. Nice choice...that arm should allow so many great cartridge options. Congrats on the purchase. 

fjn04

1,517 posts

That's a sweet looking table. About how much was the setup with the Sorane arm. Nice choice...that arm should allow so many great cartridge options. Congrats on the purchase. 

I think the total with tax(13%) in Canadian money was $5200. so about $3400 usd before tax. 

The acoustic solid bubinga arrived today. Have to say very nicely made. Very easy to set up every perimeter. Spindle to pivot has a very nice adjustment system supper easy to set up for different tonearms.  Looks stunning as well. The Sorane TA-1 arm is very nicely made as well. I’d say better then the Jelco 750 series I’ve had in the past. Actually easier to adjust then the VPI gimbal arm. 

over all seems to work well, sounds detailed fast and stable. Using a sound smith MI cart for now but I’m going to upgrade soon.