DAC Choices - $5,000 to $7,000

What are the current top DAC choices in the approximately $5-$7K price range (new or used) that I should look at as possible upgrades to my current Metrum Adagio?  Having an on-board volume control is not a factor as I can operate my system either way.   If I wanted to spend more I would look at Totaldac, Rockna Wavedream Signature, or one of the other top-end contenders, but I selected the price range to achieve a sound quality that is consistent with the rest of my system and because I don't want to spend more due to the still evolving nature of digital technology.  I do like the more natural sound (to my ears) of NOS R2R DACs.  So far, I have considered the three below, but none seem to be a slam-dunk upgrade from the Adagio, which still sounds pretty good in my system.  The decision is complicated by having to "buy to try" so that I can hear one in my system.  Maybe now is not the time for an upgrade.  Any thoughts?

• Denafrips Terminator w/DSP board - Reportedly has the full body/dense tone type of sound I like, but also has a high'ish output impedance 
  • Holo May KTE - Reportedly measures great for an R2R DAC and has strong reviews 
  • Rockna Wavelight - Some reviewers like it but others put it in the middle of the pack for the price
mitch2

@bradhaf 

The Frerot on its own is a very nice dac, competes well with similarly priced dacs, the Frerot with the upgraded power supply is an absolute bargain. The Dac1 is an altogether different beast. A full fledged, highly capable dac with wonderful color, texture and tone. It hits harder while never losing its composure or delicacy. Full disclosure: I have since sold both Merasons. I opted for dacs with volume controls…you cant go wrong with the Dac1 one and it will not be the weak link in your system in the unlikely event you have one at all.

@ghasley what did you buy to replace them?

Indeed the lack of volume control is a key reason I haven’t jumped on purchased a dac like the DAC-1 only because at present I don’t have a pre-amp (and the added expense of a decent pre-amp would likely be as much or more than whatever dac I’m hoping to afford).

@dvdboulet 

I have a Totaldac D1 Tube MkIII and two Meinter MA3’s. Full disclosure: I have sold off one of my systems and will be selling one of my MA3’s. Its a terrific dac.

+1 on the Merason DAC 1. Simply fantastic at its $6k price point, an absolute no-brainer at a discounted used price.