Innuos Phoenix USB Reclocker - Sounds Worse?

I picked up a Phoenix USB Reclocker, mint condition store demo.  I think this must be the first of many, many reports where the Phoenix does NOT seem to improve the sound.  So many posts and review after review indicate positive results with this device added to systems.  I’ve not seen one single account where the results weren’t clearly superior.  Yet that seems to be the case for me, sadly!  

My system:

• Gryphon Diablo 300 with DAC module
  • Innuos Zenith Mk 3 with Roon/Tidal HiFi
  • Innuos Phoenix Reclocker
  • AudioQuest Hurricane Source power cords connected to a Niagara 1200 conditioner 
  • AudioQuest Dragon High Current power cord connected between my amp and the wall
  • Two AudioQuest Diamond USB cables
  • Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker cables
  • B&W 803 D2 speakers

Adding the reclocker makes the sound more constrained, tighter, with less separation, and is generally less engaging.  This seems to be almost the opposite of 100% of everyone else’s experiences.  I thought maybe the new USB cord needed to be broken in (it’s been 40 hours now) but I don’t think it could be this much worse prior to completing the breakin.  And the Reclocker was a demo so in theory it should be broken in.

Some may theorize that my Gryphon DAC may be better and that the Reclocker is dragging my DAC down instead of elevating it.  But that logic I don’t think makes sense, because the Phoenix reclocker tech is included in Innuos’ top Uber expensive Statement.  I can’t imagine that the Statement in my system would sound worse than my Zenith Mk III which is less than half the cost!

Not sure what’s up…  I will give it another few days and then contact Innuos to see if they have any thoughts.

nyev

@nyev - It is not just dealers who are biased. We audiophiles tend to be prey to expectation bias, in spades. That’s what keeps the used audio market churning.

As to trusting what some guys you don't know say on the Internet, good luck with that.  (Me, too.) Yes, there can be real information content; just let your own ears be the final arbiter. You don't know anyone's motivations, hearing ability, or really, even what gear they have or if they are catfishing.

I’ll just say that again, trust your own ears. If you want, invite friends over and do a single-blind test. You may find (as I did with some $$$ cables) that something theoretically not needed really is not needed!

I wish you good luck with it.

@mike_in_nc , totally agree with what you are saying, but I do have one exception. To get around “consumer bias”, let’s call it, I generally trust the internet ONLY if 1) Sources are reporting all the same things with no disagreement, and 2) There are many, many such reports.

This approach so far hasn’t led me astray, including in this instance, because…. There’s been a breakthrough!

I’ve been running everything constantly for a few days, and I decided to check in on how things were sounding. To my surprise everything sounded open, dynamic, and with more impact. I thought maybe it’s just me having overly low expectations, so I removed the Reclocker to compare. Sure enough, with the Reclocker is undeniably better.

Chalk it up to another case of underestimating the degree of impact burnin makes. Or, another audiophile being falsely tricked into thinking what they are hearing is great!

Going to do more tests later to try to validate what I’m hearing, but right now, the Phoenix reclocker is here to stay….  Really, really loving the sound.  Amazing how different it is today.

I tied a lot of these tweaks/gimmicks trying to get usb to sound good years ago and each tweak/gimmick was like putting lipstick on a pig. Got rid of the usb dac and went with a better dac with i2s and Ethernet inputs

@nyev  I have an AQ Niagara 1200. But it is not the main power conditioner in my system. But your system seems to be reasonably high end. So are you planning to move up to the Niagara 5000 or so? I perceive the Niagara 1200 to not be the same caliber as the rest of your system. No? Yes?

@rbstehno , I totally get that you can go way overboard on the gimmick boxes. Even my dealer who sold me the Phoenix reclocker rolled his eyes when I asked him about it! He said “another box, and if I hear one more customer going on and on and on about how much better the sound is with the Phoenix…. I wish they’d just shut up sometimes…I can’t stand all these extra boxes…” Then he followed up with “But whatever, everyone who buys one is just over the moon so I guess it must be good.” Not a very motivated salesman I guess. I have a suspicion he smokes weed at work… He’s a funny guy.

Anyways count me in that camp now of amazed totally happy customers. This gimmick box certainly doesn’t have gimmick results. Between my recent Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker cable, my AudioQuest Dragon power cord, and this “gimmicky” Innuos Phoenix which is actually incredibly good, it’s just stunning how it’s lifted my system. Before all this I always thought my system really sounded good and I enjoyed it a great deal, but I never really felt the sound was high end. That’s changed now. Difference is in the level of transparency and soundstage depth and imaging precision, with more texture and dynamics. And as counterintuitive as it might seem, it makes all material easier to listen to. When I’m trying to focus on critical listening I just end up getting caught up in the music… Pretty cool.