Question about speaker angle

I've always been under the impression that your front main speakers should be angled so that the "face" of the speaker is basically perpendicular with the listener's face when viewing the speakers from the sweet spot. I do however see others placing the speakers parallel or inline with the surface of the wall behind the speakers. I'm wondering, how much loss to the sonic sound stage this creates.

waxensens

@audiosens 

Nice system! 45” - 55” in general would be a very short base, but as always very system / room dependent.  Looking at your system / room it looks completely appropriate. 

In addition to Toe-in, people often forget that speaker height and tilt angle are also helpful tweaks.  For a stand mounted speaker, lowering it and tilting it back can increase bass response.  I have large floor standers, but I've found that putting them on a pair of 4x4's (raising them 3.5") reduces LF boominess, and get's the tweeter/mid angle just right for my listening position.  I've tried 6" stands, and that thinned out the LF's too much, and ruined the tweeter/mid alignment.  My toe-in is to have the speakers pointed directly at me.  (this is for my old B&W Matrix 801-S2's).  

ghdprentice, Also, since my left ear has lost some hearing loss, I think moving the speakers closer together helps a lot in terms of a better balanced soundstage and better consistency at high frequencies.  I believe that having them closer together there is less interference caused by reflections from side walls, and also direct sound from the speakers, given the difference in hearing in my left ear. I am very happy to have experimented with positioning, and I suggest it to all music lovers.

I've always been under the impression that your front main speakers should be angled so that the "face" of the speaker is basically perpendicular with the listener's face when viewing the speakers from the sweet spot. I do however see others placing the speakers parallel or inline with the surface of the wall behind the speakers https://19216811.cam/ 

. I'm wondering, how much loss to the sonic sound stage this creates.

I got this,...