Buyer Beware

Audiogon has seen a number of fake accounts trying to rip off members. If you come across an item that seems very low in price and advertised by a brand new member the chances are it is a fake account trying to rip you off. My suggestion is to not attempt to buy from any of these accounts.

They have figured out how to get bogus tracking accounts from USPS, which look like an item was delivered to your house. Until you can prove that nothing was delivered, which can take time, you are out of your money. In some cases, the more that time passes the less likely you can prove this.

I’m not sure why Audiogon can not do a better job of filtering these scammers out but there are a number of ads up now that are most definitely scams.

raymonda

.If it's paid by check when you go to your bank you can aske the teller

to put a hold on their account and check that there is money in that account to cover the check

What they are doing, is sending a postcard general delivery and PayPal will see the tracking number delivered to the city of record. They will not notice that your name is not on it and side with the seller simply because they provided tracking info to your city. I got hit hard. Audiogon was NO HELP. 

I sold a set Of B&W 803s & used Paypal.  He paid. I shipped. The day they arrived he filed a complaint.  He said one had a blown tweeter. It didn't. I had to refund the tweeter price. Around v$300 I think. Scam deal.

As I said before, it's so hard to pin these bastards.  The only answer is to increase sentences for those that are caught, to create risk.

In general I advocate much higher sentences for crimes that are difficult to police.

So for these scums I advocate 5 years first offence, 20 years subsequent.  The US is good at long sentencing.  There needs to be a lower grade facility to make prison life more unpleasant.  Bring back shackles.

Also keep away from those who are using Photos of products taken from other websites as they dont own the products.

Always ask for more photos or video call them on whatsapp or other chat services.