$5K KUZMA TONEARM FOR ONLY $690! Gryphon Diablo for Only $699!

Audiogon is being infested by scammers! These are obviously fake ads designed to steal your hard-earned dollars. The thing that really irks me is that they were allowed to be posted. They all come from new members with zero feedback.

aisip

@tablejockey,

It isn’t keying errors.  That same ad was also posted a week ago, I messaged the person saying it must be a typo. Never heard back. 

Sad thing is - even if the user id gets flagged the dirt bag might likely create another user id and repeat his antics.   

Buy from legitimate,  verified dealers.  It might mean paying a few dollars more, but service and after-sale follow-up can make the difference worthwhile.  

It would not hurt my feelings if you had to wait a day, or at least until someone at Agon had a chance to review and approve listing(s) before they were allowed to post.    

I hit buy it now on two items that were listed in Hayes, KS a week ago.  That is about a four hour drive from me.  It was a Hegel H390 and a decent Project turntable.  I figured the worst that could happen would be I spend 8 hours of my time driving.  Within 5 minutes of committing I received an email asking to pay.  I responded that I would be picking them up in person and paying cash.  Silence.  Next morning I woke to an email from Agon saying the auctions had been cancelled and the user suspended.  

A few days later a Gryphon integrated showed up in Ames, IA.  Another 4 hour drive.  I hit buy it now and again five minutes later a request to pay.  I ignored it and went to bed.  Again the email from Agon that the listing was cancelled the next morning and the user suspended.  

Now when one of these listings shows up and I go to view it I’m already blocked from bidding.  

They only show up at night, presumably because they are not being screened.  So carry the load and bid on these so no one can get scammed and ignore the supposed sellers.  The listings will go away the next morning.  

These super low priced ads for quality equipment have been showing up almost daily for awhile now. I’ve personally reported six or seven. Beyond the ridiculously favorable price, the seller will have joined in the current month of the current year. Not deterred? Just go to HiFi Shark and search for the item of interest. Be sure not to filter out other countries. If you look close, you will find the exact photos used in the current Audiogon listing, typically in a completed listing from another country. Lately, this site is littered with fraudulent listing for equipment at prices too good to be true. Last night’s barrage, was the first time I’ve seen so many ads all together. Scammers are getting more desperate. Buyer beware.