Looking for a change.

My current integrated amp is a 90 wpc Yamaha AS2100. I'm thinking about replacing it with a more powerful integrated, or keeping it as a pre and just adding an external amp. My speakers are Sonus Faber Cremona M with two KEF R400B subs. I have a Musical Fidelity Nu Vista Vinyl, so the phono stage is not an issue. The SF speakers are pretty efficient and good with this amp. Like everyone, I'm always wondering what could be. What am I missing with the Yamaha and what would I gain from making a change. I listen to vinyl on my VPI Prime with a Van den Hul MC DDT II Special. I stream with a Node running through the DAC of my Yamaha CD S2100. Is the Yamaha my weak link?

chasda

try a hegel integrated (h120 or 190 given your system)... i think you will be pleased with the improvement - substantially better treble subtlety, air, soundstage depth and specificity, bass control/solidity - all of which would be heard on your quite good, resolving speakers

the sound will seem more easeful and clear at the same time, more effortless yet with more subtle details

no affiliation, other than being a very happy hegel owner...

Post removed 

What kind of improvements are you looking for and what sound characteristics are most important to you?  Also, what’s your budget?

90 wpc is plenty of power for the speakers which are 91db efficient. If you want to make them sing introduce tube amp. If that doesn't float you boat then add a couple subs, preferably Rel to the mix 

I used to own a set of those. The classic combo is with Audio Research… like a Vsi75 or a Ref 75se amp. These would sound very different from what have now, rendering more realistically with mid range bloom and fleshed out nuance in the bass.. Tube alternatives: Conrad Johnson, VAC, and Cary. Alternatively Luxman would be a good choice with some tubed or not.

Here is a gross generality to think about. If you really like lots of details in your face and slam… then sticking with solid state and adding lots more power will tickle your fancy. However, if you want a more realistic sound (with all the details… just not in your face) and the bass more nuanced with great emotional content, then look to tubes like ARC…preamp and amp would be best. Or you can split the difference with Pass XA amp.

If you are unsure… go find a system run on tubes and have a listen. It is easy to think you want more details and slam until you hear a really good musical system. You already have a good set of speakers to head in that direction.

I am powering my current Sonus Faber (same sensitivity as yours) with an Audio Research REF 160… but in triode mode so it is only putting out 70wpc… sound great at at least twice the volume I would ever listen.