I need help choosing a budget phono stage gift

An older relative recently had an old technics turntable fixed. He is using a Rega carbon cartridge with an older pioneer integrated amp and its built-in phono stage.

I want to gift him a phono stage to help him hear more music from his system.

For $200, I keep seeing the Ifi Zen, Rega Mini A2D and the ProJect Box S2, but I can’t decide.

Any guidance is appreciated.

saulh

Another vote for Schiit

+

Pyle $14. beat both of them, in-line, out of sight

=

?

😃

I would definitely recommend a phono preamp, especially on the old receivers.

I do most of my record playing in my “listening room” with a Schiit Mani/Technics turntable/AT100E cartridge and old Pioneer SX-1500T receiver I bought when I was still in High School (late 60’s). Simple toggle switch to turn it on before firing up receiver  Much better than aging Pioneer phono section.

In the living room I use a iFi Zen with a Music Hall turntable/Vessel cartridge and old Sansui 5500 receiver i bought at the Sub Base Pearl Harbor in ‘73. The Zen is more refined and dead silent. It also has a subsonic filter I leave on all the time.

Hagerman Bugle3. It's right in your price points and, because it uses socketed op amps, you can upgrade it later by swapping out the op-amps with discretes (Sparkos would probably work best). 

U-turn Pluto 2 may be worth considering. It is firmly is your price range. 

The Lounge @$349 is in my 10 K system.  It's that good. Handmade by Robert in LA. call him. Awsome sound from this pricepoint.