Pigskin or jico leather mat

Does anyone here know where to buy a new pigskin or jico leather mat? I can’t seem to find a retailer- I am uk based

lohanimal

Soko, Your mat represents the "other" school of thought around mats, the idea that you want to hold the LP away from the platter and from any noise or vibrations that might enter into it from the platter.  The Resomat, sold by Vic of Trans-Fi, I think, is another example of such an approach, as was the old Transcriptors platter per se, that held the LP on little pedestals topped with tiny pieces of felt.  The up- or downside of that approach, depending upon one's point of view, is that the LP is free to resonate secondary to the energy imparted into the LP by the action of the stylus tracing the groove, and also any warp in the LP is uncorrected in any way. I can imagine how that might sound, both in a good way and in a less good way.

Lew - it makes sense to me, moreso with the Rega philosophy of light plinths and arms, not so much with the heavy platters and clamps, etc., as long as the table is isolated well (mine is on top of a Townshend platform that sits on a wall mounted shelf). The vibrations I measure (admittedly with a rudimentary iPhone app) on the plinth while the stereo is on is about 1/100th of those of my amps that sit on isolating roller blocks on top of a credenza (directly on the suspended wood floor). 

The eclipse is kind of expensive but you can tell it is intricately constructed by hand. Like I said, the Rega felt mat was fine, just couldn't stand the mat lifting off when flipping a record and decided I didn't like the 2 sided tape I put on the platter to hold the mat down. Just my "little" OCD knowing it was there made me get a new mat, and the stereo does sound better than ever. Hard to know what little change affected it and by what %, but as long as it is improving (as long as the record isn't warped - I catch that when I buy them and return them if they are warped) I am happy (for now). Since everything is now isolated or having vibrations drained, I've taken it as far as it can go, and probably will only make changes when something breaks or the stylus wears out.

Hey Ralph,

I tried turning down my volume all the way when playing a LP. Heard no sound of the cartridge at all. Guess my new mat is doing a great job.

I changed from the vinyl Oracle mat you recommended and now have the Oyaide tungsten infused butyl rubber mat. It was less than $200 and seems like it may be similar to the famous Warren Ghel mat. (Copper infused rubber?)