Review: Great Northern Sound Co. Wadia 860 CD Player

Category: Digital

For all of you now currently using Wadia cd players, I have found a way to make them sound even better.
I have owned Wadia 860s and 861s in the past, and after having recently sold my 861, I was unable to find anything else to put in its place, that I was satisfied with, so I started looking around for another Wadia.
I noticed that Steve Huntley, at the Great Northern Sound Company, had an 860 that he was performing his mods on.
For all you who may not be familiar with Steve, he is a former Wadia employee who has a series of modifications for Wadias.
I had always been a little skeptical as to how you could really improve on the Wadia performance, but was also very curious to audition one of Steve's players.
Well, I am glad to admit, that I was skeptical for no reason, and it is possible to improve on the performance.
I have had the Wadia in my system for a couple of weeks now. I have auditioned it with everything from classical to 60s rock to current rock, both live and studio recordings.
Everthing that Steve claims is absolutely true. The overall sonic improvement is immense. I immediately noticed a huge increase in the bottom end. Both the highs and mids were punched up as well.
The background is noticeably darker, as to be non-existent, the noise floor dropped off, and the soundstage became a lot wider. The overall sound became a lot warmer than any cd player that I have owned, including my past Wadias and a Levinson 390s that I had in my system for a while.
I am still in awe, and Steve says that it will get even better as it burns in.
I think that I have found a keeper. I can find no apparent weaknesses, and I now have the performance that I was looking for from my Levinson amps, and my Revel speakers.
Anyone who is interested should visit the Great Northern Sound Company website.
Steve is a very nice guy to deal with. He kept me informed as to the progress of the player, as well as checking up on me after I received the player, to make sure that I was happy with it.

Associated gear
Levinson 380 preamp, Levinson 33H monoblocks, Revel Ultima Studio speakers
mike1diver

I auditioned the Wadia 860, 860x , 861 and 860x GNSC Statement

The normal 860 had a warm sound equivalent to that of a decent LP and turntable with say a dynavector ruby cartridge. The 860x was a step up to say a Monstercable alpha 2 .

I did not like the digital dryer 861 at all. Ugggh

The 860x GNSC was more akin to a Koetsu Rosewood on a Goldmund Studio turntable in the way it handles voices and a super tall and wide soundstage . Easily one of the top 5 digital I have heard, and I have heard hundred of expensive units over $5000- $35000.

So I bought the Wadia 8t0x GNSC from Steve Huntley. I use it to stream qobuzz and tidal. The CD player needs a belt, George Myer TV (authorized Wadia service) has a lot of Wadia parts, but I haven’t missed handling the silly jewel boxes one bit.

If anyone wants to ask questions my tel number spells out “Disco-Draft” , I will likely sell it soon as I am selling everything and buying an airstream .

johnhaines

How old is your 860x GNSC ? What year did you purchase from Steve Huntley?

Where are you located?  Feel free to PM (email)  here. I look forward in reading more about your Audio journey.

Happy Listening!

johnhaines

I enjoyed conversation with you today. I look forward in our continued correspondence.  Contact me anytime. Thank you.

Happy Listening!