Large speaker recommendation

I've lived with the Sonus faber Elipsa speakers for 10+ years. Now thinking about upgrading to something with a bigger sound. Elipsa sounds great with classical music but not so great with pop/percussion type of music in my system/room. I do listen to classical music most of the time though, but hope to get a pair of speakers that are good in both worlds. Have also owned Tekton DI and Audio Solutions Figaro XL (really big, too big) but looking for something better, under $30k used or new, aesthetically pleasing. My system consists of: Mark Levinson No. 33H monos, Mark Levinson No. 523 preamp, Aesthetix Io signature phonostage, Basis Ovasion turntable, Vyger Atlantis turntable, digital components include Okto Dac8 Stereo, Oppo UDP-205, AMR DP-777 dac, Schiit Yggdrasil, and Bryston BDA 3.14. Room dimensions: 20x15x9 ft. Thanks! Ron

128x128ronyumd

Audition audio gave good advice. What kind of sound do you prefer? The kind of money you have to spend can get you almost whatever you want. If it were me, I would audition the top 5 contenders once you have narrowed down your search for the sound type you want. Maggies do not sound like big horn Klipsch or Volti.

I believe that speakers do not necessarily work best with certain genres of music.

And when comparing larger, $30Kish ones they, mostly, do big scale well.

However, speakers definitely have a “house sound” which usually represents the designer’s idea of what music pposounds like. And surely it is best to hear a speaker before buying. But I have only bought used speakers with some small cosmetic issues. Sometimes the used speakers are a fraction of retail. And they have the advantage of being well broken in.

Do you generally like the sound of SF? I have always liked their musical and natural sound. And few companies match their gorgeous look.

There are a few current model upscale SF on the ‘gon.

@ronyumd --

"Elipsa sounds great with classical music but not so great with pop/percussion type of music in my system/room. I do listen to classical music most of the time though, but hope to get a pair of speakers that are good in both worlds."

Volti Audio Vittora's have been mentioned - they would seem a good both/and option. They're highly efficient, and you may want to reevaluate your choice of amps with them vs. what you have now. Reading reviews may give you some indication of their merits, though an audition - in any case - is mandatory. 

ATC SCM150ASL, Pro or Tower version. Active speakers, so you could free some finances selling your ML mono's. Very versatile speakers, well-balanced, effortless and with great insight. Unflappable even at high SPL's. 

JBL M2, actively configured speakers (so again: bye bye ML's). Will serve up any genre of music, and at prodigious SPL's if needed. "Born" with Crown® iTech 5000HD amps, one for each speaker, with build-in DSP. Don't let the Crown brand (or DSP inclusion) fool you - if for some reason you should be in a "pro amps generally suck" camp. Rid yourself of possible preconceptions; the M2 + Crown amps combo sound very good - better than most amps driving passive speakers, anyway, save perhaps some SET's + highly eff. horn speakers. 

Grimm Audio LS1v2/be + SB1 subs. Fully actively driven speakers with DSP and converters built-in, so only a source is needed. Well-balanced, highly resolved, transparent and versatile speakers. A horn guy like myself favors even bigger headroom and image size, but they may serve you wonderfully. Check them out.  

I second both ATC (although I prefer their active models) and Legacy Audio based on personal experience. With manufacturing in Springfield, IL, Legacy offers the best value.

Pick the right model for your room or budget and please audition before you buy.