Best Phono Stage

Hi all,

I need some advise on a really good sounding phono stage to go with MC turntable set up in the $5k or so bracket. I am completely new to vinyl and realise there a lot here in terms of arm/cart matching MC,MM and I think moving iron but if you could point me in the direction of some good sounding units I can investigate compatibility etc. I don’t own a table or cart yet. I was looking at the Zesto Audio 1.2.

My goal is a liquid engaging sound with deep tight bass and air and separation on top.

Thanks in advance.

Sean

128x128lance23

I second Zesto.   I have their Leto preamp and it sounds incredible   Their service is probably the best I’ve ever experienced.   I had it upgraded to the new ESP power supply and it is even better.  That preamp transported my system to a different level.  It is good stuff

Solid state:

Avid Pulsare II (used)

BMC MCCI Signature (if you plan to use low impedance MC carts)

Tube:

Modwright PH9.0 (new)

Audio Research (Ref2 phono used)

These absolutely top of the game for their price. Don't get into exotic stuff like Allnic and such. You will want to upgrade soon :-)

I have a Zesto Andros II and I love it. I sold my Mac 2600 after getting it and added the  Zesto Leto preamp. Sweet, solid sound. Not mega detailed but not too soft either.  Very flexible. I did some tube rolling to get even more to my liking. 
RF