Just my observation - seems like there is less listed on AG

Seems to me like there is less and less gear listed on audiogon... compared to USAM.  Anyone else notice this?

joey_v

I agree with lwin above that AG is exceptionally anal about controlling the dialog between buyers and sellers.  And I feel their selling fees are excessive and laden with low-ballers.  But I think they still are the standard for audio product sales and forums.  USAM has no seller fees and doesn't try to control communications but I have found many more problematic buyers who communicate interest and then disappear forever, even after promising payment and there seems to be no recourse for these parasites.  I have reported them and nothing ever happens and USAM won't let the seller give feedback unless there has been some type of exchange.  So I guess there is room for both audio product sales websites but both have their issues.

The inability to pick up a phone and communicate directly with a buyer or seller is a dealbreaker for me. The fees are not good either.

I'm sure it has to do with the free versus paid listings and it often seems Audiogon equipment prices are higher as well as many categories being dominated by a couple of businesses who post half the listings in Audio Research, Wilson and other categories as well as the dealer out in Colorado. More private seller equip possible on USAM?

Audiogon’s business model seems to have changed where they are no longer favoring the hobbyist, with a great number of listings now coming from dealers with e-stores linked, such as TMR and similar, although TMR appears to be the most prolific. Nothing wrong with that, just an observation. USAM seems to have gained more momentum now and has become a serious and perhaps more appealing option for the hobbyist since they don’t charge fees for their basic ads, at least not yet. I use both sites with equal satisfaction. I also agree with the copied post below -

My biggest complaint (with Audiogon) is the filters put in place to prevent communication between buyers and sellers. I like to talk to sellers about a piece of gear I am interested in. I also think most buyers are like me. I understand that Audiogon doesn’t want unauthorized sales but if you pay the sale fee upfront they should allow unlimited communication between buyer buyers and sellers. They already have their money even if a sale doesn’t go through.

I tracked this site in the 90’s, then became a member 2001 or 2002. It was for hobbyists. Audiophile brands I’ve never heard of back then entered my vocabulary (Bolder, Krell, Classe, Levinson). I was also impressed with the standards back then. The grading system was a lot more accurate and you would only see (true) 8-9/10 products being exchanged on this site. You would never. see a Sony, Pioneer, or big box brand. It was for audio snobs.....a good thing because that kept our friends at E&@y from posting scratch and dent or repaired items. The fee was fair also. I left (but returned in 2016) when they upped the fee and taxed a percentage on your hard-earned equipment. I was just as mad as the day they canceled Monday Night Football on ABC. Not everyone could afford ESPN on cable. But to my point, the standards have changed here, I’ve seen everything pass through this platform. Now I see hackers posting Rotel MICHI and Levinson amps for $750.00 Ugh!