Tubes getting hard to come by?

Hi All,

I've noticed that both Upscale Audio and the Tube Depot are running out of tubes, or, at least, they are limiting buyers to ONE TUBE PER MONTH (UPSCALE) or simply out of many popular tubes.  Am I imagining this, or is the pandemic, or something else, causing a dearth of available tubes?  Might this be a bad time to buy a tube amp because of this?

Ag insider logo xs@2xrustler

I have had good luck finding NOS tubes for my amp because it doesn't use common tubes like those in guitar amps.   It uses e180f type which are super cheap and plentiful.   NOS  Mullards are between $ 6 and $40 , I picked up a pair of JAN USA Amperex for $60,   Heerleen mfg 7788 for $50.    The rectifiers are 5r4gy , widely available.   I was lucky to get 6  JAN CRC circa 1956 for $89 ea.  Time capsule condition.  2    Ken Rad from 1945 $40 ea, also time capsule condition......   not really expensive for real deal NOS , most which are JAN military stock .  

I also bought 2 pair of Western Electric 300b...... those were not cheap.   But they should last a long time .   

I've noticed that both Upscale Audio and the Tube Depot are running out of tubes, or, at least, they are limiting buyers to ONE TUBE PER MONTH (UPSCALE) or simply out of many popular tubes

omg the sky is falling... 😂

Why don't folks just place a wanted to buy ad. I'd be surprised if some folks didn't have some used or new tubes they would be happy to sell at a reasonable price. I know I do but I'm to lazy to post an ad to try to sell them. 

The real depletion occurred more than a couple years ago- truly "new" old stock of even common audio tubes is scarce and some of the more desirable old tubes, including rectifiers, are simply not on the market or very recherché. (and you have to know what you are buying). 

The latest crunch doesn't affect me since the gear makers can supply most; and the few tubes I roll-- I'm good and have various back-ups. Truly new old tubes of the never used variety have performed better for me than pulls. 

Good luck, it's a jungle out there! :)