MIT Researchers develop a paper-thin loudspeaker

The flexible, thin-film device has the potential to make any surface into a low-power, high-quality audio source.

Thought this would be interesting to share

tjassoc

Take that, Tekton tweeters!

Rather than having the entire material vibrate, their design relies on tiny domes on a thin layer of piezoelectric material which each vibrate individually. These domes, each only a few hair-widths across, are surrounded by spacer layers on the top and bottom of the film that protect them from the mounting surface while still enabling them to vibrate freely.

Interesting thanks for sharing. I know you were joking, but not Tekton at all since the domes are so much closer together. In my opinion that’s why Tekton doesn’t sound good to me. Would this be considered a planar or point source driver?

I am not sure what's newsworthy here, it's MIT after all. If a paper-thin loudspeaker developed MIT researchers, that would be interesting!

@fiesta75 A tiny Tekton then?
Got to admit, it’s intriguing. the domes are so small, it’s more like the paper-thin substrate itself vibrates rather than lots of transducers themselves creating the sound.

Yep, this is Tekton technology.  Paper will probably be rejected in peer review as unoriginal.