Too many choices for R2R DACS--opinions appreciated

So I've decided to treat myself to a new DAC to celebrate a rather significant birthday coming up, and I'm very intrigued by the new generation of DACs employing R2R technology. Reviews have been unrelentingly positive, but I have way too many choices now, so I'd appreciate some opinions from any of you who may have had a chance to compare some of them. Price range: about $3K (with some slight headroom if the right DAC warrants it). I've looked at reviews for Audio-GD, Denafrips, Sonnet, and the new one from Jay's Audio (which doesn't yet seem to have any reviews that I can find). 

I'll be replacing a DAC that I actually really like, an Abbingdon Music Research DP-777 (not SE) which I've had for a few years now, but from what I read about the R2Rs, they appear to produce a sound I might like even better. 

Listening preferences: mostly classical, some folk, some Broadway, and I never  totally outgrew my taste for the good ol' rock music I grew up with. 

Rest of the system: Modwright KWI-200 integrated, Cambridge Audio CXU disc spinner, Ryan R610 speakers, Rel S2 sub. Cables: Audience & Cardas. (This all might be a bit TMI, but let's cover all the bases).

Your opinions gratefully received. Thanks!

cooper52

I have the Audio Mirror Tubadour III SE and as a tube based DAC, find incredibly musical. Just Google the reviews or look on this sight for DAC comparisons. They have had a strong following here.  Extremely musical, analog sounding without being too forward or overly digital sounding. Or if possible buy on used market SEII for around $2k. Enjoy the journey 

Consider those with a tube.  It's another level of adjustability and mine only needs one.  $30 to maybe $150 per tube.  Lots of choices in them.  Impart sound from lush and warm to crisp and dynamic.  Tubes in this device startled me as to how much they affect sound.  Non-tube units have one voicing.  My favorite tube was $30.  I'm using a Grannyring modded, MHDT Orchid.  With mods and a few extra NOS tubes all-in about $1700.  Amazing sound.  Seen reviews place the modded unit in the $3000 class.  Buy more music!  If you mod it you'll get it back, door to door in 7 to 10 days.  Also seen WTB modded units for close to 100% of cost so nearly no risk.  

Many thanks to everybody for the very helpful information, but now, of course, I'm faced with even more choices than I started with. I'll have to give some thought to the tubed DACs. My AMR DP-777 has tubes, but in general I haven't been (up to now anyway) a tube enthusiast. Some of the suggestions are significantly in excess of my budget, though. At this point, I'm leaning in the direction of Denafrips, and possibly Sonnet. I'm still open to further suggestions and opinions. 

Oh, and meant to mention: I don't really need the DAC to include a preamp, though many do. Just need it to do what it's designed to do, namely convert digital to analog. 

First exposure to r to r was la scala.  Way over my budget.  Went through reviews of the Chinese manufacturers and they all seemed good.

Liked the reviews from hans b on you tube for the audio gd r7 mark 2. Multiple matches of nos to uosampling.  The interface is behind the time.  Given lapses of audio memory, have no desire for my original choice.  You can order through underwood which has the benefit of a repair center in Georgia rather than sending it back to China