Luxman D03X vs D10X

Folks,

I have been seriously contemplating moving from Luxman D03X to Luxman D10X.. But before I do such a thing, I'd like to do thorough research and any help or advice from someone who have owned these or not, would be great. Here are some spec details. The D03X uses Texas Instruments PCM1795 DA chips with SNR of 123db and a sample max rate of 200Khz resolution of 32bits. The D10X employs ROHMs BD34301EKV DA chips with SNR of 130db and a sample maxx rate of 768Khz and resolution of 32bits. How much of audible difference would these make? also the D10X support SACD decoding.. thanks in advance..

rman9

@rman9 Don't let my comment dissuade you; you just need to add a reclocker to your budget, I use a Chinese one (Singxer Su-6) that is actually very good (reference level good) and you can get it new for $600. Alternatively if you have a high quality streamer with coaxial out, you can just use that with the limitations I mentioned. I recently bought a Chord M Scaller to see how that will work with the Luxman (I will report back on performance after I get it).

Another downside that I forgot to mention is that the Luxman doesn't not support Blu Ray or DVD Audio; something I really didn't care about, but in retrospect wish it has that functionality. There are many great studio and concert albums that were released in bluray/dvd that I can't play on the Luxman but can play on a $200 dvd player.

@arize84 I have a Lumin U1 mini streamer, unfortunately it doesn't support all streaming services like Amazon HD.. How high of a bit rate do you push into the USB port of the D10X? Is it less than what it is for D03X? Please do keep me posted when you get the Chord.. 

My dealer also carries the Audio Research high end CD9SE player, but doesn't play SACD's. It looks so ungainly.. Like the engineers fell asleep as they were building it :) Some of the comparisons on the web between the AR and The D10X, say the AR is more musical.. 

I have the Panasonic DP UB9000, I didn't have a clue there is the blu-ray and DVD audio format music. You just opened up a whole new dimension for me.. Thanks much :)

rman9

In my auditions, I found the ARC CD9 slightly more musical than the D-03x. Very subtle in presentation and sound. To date I have not auditioned the CD9SE nor D-10x.  At this level of price and performance, it is a matter of taste. It is too bad that ARC never delved into SACD playback.

Happy Listening!

@jafant agree on ARC not supporting SACD.. Otherwise it'd be an easy choice.. They can work little bit on the aesthetics.. I find the handles very unappealing.. 

The CDS9E has tubes and it runs real hot..

I tried the Chord M Scaller going into the D10x. I was disappointed. I preferred what I was getting from my Singxer SU-6 reclocker. The Chord was a tad warmer, resolution and sound stage was the same between the 2. Tonal density and liquidity is where the Singxer outclassed the Chord. I'm returning the Mscaller tomorrow. I will note that I used a $5 adapter on the BNC output of the mscaller to convert it to an RCA connection in order to use my existing coaxial cable. I don't think the adapter would make a huge difference but who knows.