Just my observation - seems like there is less listed on AG

Seems to me like there is less and less gear listed on audiogon... compared to USAM.  Anyone else notice this?

joey_v

+1 @ghasley 

Why would anyone list here for exorbitant fees when they can sell the same item on USAM for free 🤑 

I met and now have several photography friends since joining dpreview.

Here they try to prevent us from sharing contact information with each other, I presume so we won’t sell ’outside’ of their fee. I don’t mind the fee to sell, I pre-pay even though an item is more likely to sell elsewhere. It's not much to contribute for what I learn in the discussions and help I get from members here.

But I do resent having to sneak my info to members. 3 members have come here and we enjoyed listening to music together, share our equipment histories ... I’ll be visiting their homes soon.

Like minded friends is a tremendous gain from any forum.

Seems to me like there is less and less gear listed on audiogon... compared to USAM.

I have also noticed a slow down in sales. This is especially true of the higher priced goods. Or maybe I'm not looking at the "flavor of the month" gear

Why would anyone list here for exorbitant fees when they can sell the same item on USAM for free 🤑 

To be fair I believe A'gon offers more and maybe better service. Then too, I haven't sold anything for quite a while. Then too, business are willing to pay a fee. They have an understanding of the business world and know that there is a price to do business. Its called overhead. The typical person who has never run a business doesn't know about all the hidden costs involved and naturally think a fee is wrong. 

Here they try to prevent us from sharing contact information with each other,

This is one of the more egregious things about A'gon IMO. Its nice to be able to actually talk shop with some. Also, it used to be suggested that you speak with the seller before final purchase. But even in the forum section where there are no sales, you cannot even post your email address of phone #. Sometimes a conversation is more appropriate for the situation. But then too, its hard to get anyone under 50 to even answer a phone

If it's relatively inexpensive, I'll list on Agon, but otherwise, it's USAM - percentages are too high here; I'll go with free...

“Then too, I haven’t sold anything for quite a while.”

@artemus_5

Well in that case you have no idea how quickly these fees adds up. I have sold 62 items in last 18 months on USAM. I am sure you can do the math 😊 Selling audio gear is a loosing proposition, very seldom you break even and in almost all cases you do not recoup your selling fees.

BTW, I am a independent contractor so I have a bit of idea of costs associated with running a business. I am not against the fees and in my 15 plus years of selling on Audiogon, I gladly paid and enjoyed selling here. Sadly, I cannot afford to pay the newly revised exorbitant fees…..I’m a hobbyist, not in a business to make profit on used gear. As @ghasley pointed out, this site is now more geared towards dealers, nothing wrong with that but I wish they would have kept two separate fee tiers for hobbyist and dealers.