How do you judge audio components and speakers?

I would say - listening to music you're familiar with, and comparing. We can talk about tight/bloomy bass, midrange clarity, treble extension and things of that nature. We can also be very specific with regards to how a particular track is supposed to sound; based on high-performance gear that we were able to experience - but only if it purports to be accurate without sonic colorations. Therefore, I guess you could say we have a reference point. This part is what I would consider "objective performance." 

Along with this, measurements go hand-in-hand.

On the other side of the coin - subjective performance is how we "want our systems to sound." If the vocals are too bright or sharp, if snares or unpleasant sounding instrumentals ruin an otherwise good song, it's usually because the system is too accurate. So high-end audio is about chasing an ideal that doesn't exist in reality - but in the minds of audiophiles who are seeking a very particular kind of sonic presentation that bodes well with their music library as a whole....giving you just enough detail to keep you interested, while at the same time having a sense of realism, presence, and imaging that makes the speakers dissapear. We are seeking the illusion of a live performance.

The above are just my points. Feel free to share what you think. If you think I'm wrong, I don't mind. 

Cheers.

Jack

jackhifiguy

I’m a gonna be real chief…those pics gave me serious Buffalo Bill vibes 😳

I start with a high quality jazz recording, then some classic rock and finally some 80s pop. After that, I begin with my well known favorite songs. Regardless of that, what I value most is how well the speakers present the soundstage and how good is the imaging. If the phantom "third channel" is cleary present then is a winner for me. Other subtleties such as if the sound is neutral, warm are of my interest only if the speakers passed the first tests.

@insoc -- Thank you for getting this thread back on track--what a derailment!

OP - whether you feel like you insulted mahgister or not, as a former judge i would have to rule that you did simply by telling him he needed to get rid of many things and although many long time contributors here have found his "system" to be very unique indeed, no one has judged it. 

On the topic at hand, i take several well-recorded vinyl records and CD's (all live recordings) and play them on systems i'm considering--if the music sounds live--I am there and it sounds right--good enough for me...

Jack,

I disagree with the first paragraph in your opening question. Your objective will be different from mine and probably most other contributors on this forum. So, it is subjective.

I significantly agree with the comments in your third paragraph, especially the latter part.

It has taken me 40 years to get the sound that I am very satisfied with. No longer do I criticise my system because it always provides me with an entertaining experience and, that's all that matters.

I have learned how to audition new components, passively, to begin with. I also have studied the perception of hearing and, therefore, I observe not only the music reproduction, but my state of mind and wellbeing at the same time. High end hi-fi systems are very fickle and can require re-tuning from time to time. But so is our ability to LISTEN.

ATB, 

BP

Whether it's a electronics, cables or accessories, what I'm looking for is value add

I'm in search of new and improved playback content that I have not heard in previous playbacks that enhances the enjoyment of my listening experience

I have a handful of reference material, that changes over time, that I know in great detail

I can typically detect in the first 2 or 3 songs if the needle is being moved in the right direction

If I have to labor over the decision or comparison, the juice is probably not worth the squeeze

For me, keeping it simple instead of analysis paralysis is preferred

That said I've resolved myself to know that this is not a perfect science and thus I'm probably leaving 10-15% of opportunity on the table, and I'm OK with that

But moving the needle in the right direction gets me closer, closer to what is in the ears of the beholder as we have no end state or final destination

One of the great beauties of this hobby, IMO, we're never finished

Enjoy the journey