I don't want to beat a dead horse but I'm bugged.

I just can't clear my head of this. I don't want to start a measurements vs listening war and I'd appreciate it if you guys don't, but I bought a Rogue Sphinx V3 as some of you may remember and have been enjoying it quite a bit. So, I head over to AVS and read Amir's review and he just rips it apart. But that's OK, measurements are measurements, that is not what bugs me. I learned in the early 70s that distortion numbers, etc, may not be that important to me. Then I read that he didn't even bother listening to the darn thing. That is what really bugs me. If something measures so poorly, wouldn't you want to correlate the measurements with what you hear? Do people still buy gear on measurements alone? I learned that can be a big mistake. I just don't get it, never have. Can anybody provide some insight to why some people are stuck on audio measurements? Help me package that so I can at least understand what they are thinking without dismissing them completely as a bunch of mislead sheep. 

128x128russ69

Didn’t you get the memo?

Today, if you dare to believe what your eyes, ears, mind and bank account tell you; there MUST be something wrong with YOU!

Those, "authorities" are there to protect you from your faulty senses, broken/misguided mind and the dangers of things like facts, truth and whatever else they might find discomfiting, at the moment (their b_tch de jour).

Just get in line, do and believe what you’re told, like good little sheeple.

"Help me package that so I can at least understand what they are thinking without dismissing them completely as a bunch of mislead sheep."

"I don’t understand entirely discounting the value of our human senses."

@russ69 

this is why i pay no attention to the clowns at asr (site operator and fan boys), they are idiots because they miss entire plot

that that site has some success and followers really befuddles me... but whatever floats your boat as a far as hobbies go...

@rodman99999 

Your assessment is correct. This is where we are as a society. The problem is that many have bought into the idea that science is the final arbitar of all truth. The bigger problem is that these same people do not adhere to sound scientific procedure. In this instance the science is incomplete because it failed to observe and analyze all aspects of the amp. 

I believe a case can be made that they are not interested in science as a tool to find truth. If they did, they would observe and analyze all facets of the amp in order to arrive at the truth. Instead, they see science as something much higher... something to be adored, similar to a god. And this is why they rush to the defense of their perceived science if and when it is threatened. Iow this is Scientism

What is the purpose of an audio amplifier? If you don't review it doing it's intended purpose, have you reviewed it?

@russ69  - Don't Worry, Be Happy. You have a system that you enjoy and that's what it's all about...