How to choose a cartridge?

Aside from compliance, and whether one has enough gain and loading options, how does one choose a cartirdge?

There are a few shops that have one or two brands, and other shops that have other brands… etc.

It is a either visiting a lot of shops, or using some other method.

I have seen a few plots of response and 2nd, 3rd harmonics for a limited number of carts.

The other method is scouring the reviews and digest the colourful wording used to describe the carts.

As an example I am considering:

• SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC Star
  • AT ART9xi
  • Benz Micro LP S
  • Hana ML
  • and some others…

Does one just flip a coin?

128x128holmz

Know your tonearm mass to start.

Buy a few set up tools to help you dial in the cartridges. I cannot stress this enough. I've been doing his a while and am amazed by how much of a difference this makes with better cartridges.

Pick a any brand and compare carts within an affordable (to you) line.

Try the different stylus shapes: elliptical, microline, shibata etc.. Avoid conical unless it's the Denon 103.

Try to compare a couple of carts at a time to see what you like.

Enjoy the ride.

I started with Grado, then Ortofon, Denon and now playing with Audio Technica. I'm also just starting my ride.

@holmz  : " of all the measurements, channel separation is the one that likely has the most bearing on things. "

But you have to measures it  and today almost no single cartridge manufacturer gives ( as in the past ) a measures charts.

R.

I don't know if any particular measurement says anything about how a cartridge might sound, much less whether one will like that sound.  It might well be case, as some mastering engineers have said, that distortions and artifacts inherent to the making of records and extracting the information on records might be what attracts some people to record playing.  I suspect that this, at least in part true.

I once borrowed a table from a shop while mine was under repair.  I noticed that that this setup had a particularly expansive sound field that seems to envelope the room.  I had, at that time, a Yamaha DSP-1 processor that creates multichannel reverberant information to feed to side and back channel speakers.  One setting was essentially a Hafler circuit that extracts out of phase information from the two channels to feed to separate speakers.  When I engaged this circuit, I got a lot of out of phase information FROM A MONO RECORD (with my own table, I would get no signal when engaging this circuit when playing mono records).  The cartridge was not wired out of phase an there was enough in-phase information for there to be a proper center image and proper left and right instrument localization with stereo records.  The amount of out of phase information (i.e., distortion) was not enough to destroy stereo imaging and it may have actually been an enhancement, at least with some recordings.  

Dear @larryi  " I don't know if any particular measurement says anything about how a cartridge might sound, much less whether one will like that sound.  "

Rigth+.

R.

I don't know if any particular measurement says anything about how a cartridge might sound, much less whether one will like that sound.  

I think it was Lederman who said that the channel separation is a general sign of manufacturing quality. (Maybe it was in a video?)