How to choose a cartridge?

Aside from compliance, and whether one has enough gain and loading options, how does one choose a cartirdge?

There are a few shops that have one or two brands, and other shops that have other brands… etc.

It is a either visiting a lot of shops, or using some other method.

I have seen a few plots of response and 2nd, 3rd harmonics for a limited number of carts.

The other method is scouring the reviews and digest the colourful wording used to describe the carts.

As an example I am considering:

• SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC Star
  • AT ART9xi
  • Benz Micro LP S
  • Hana ML
  • and some others…

Does one just flip a coin?

128x128holmz

My Broadest Experience is with Ortofon.

I have heard the Flagship Models and their Trickle Down Technology Models since the Millennium.

There is a family trait where a Sonic is detectable and the variation from one Cart to another is also detectable.

I like a very clean cut Bass Note with no overhang, it has to be perceived as having a decay, this allows my Mid and Upper Mid's to be projected and have a improved presence.

To achieve this Balance, I had a Ortofon Cart' built with the description of my needs guiding the design.

The Built Cart has been compared to other Ortofon Cart's produced over the last 20 Years and I am not wanting another Ortofon at present.

I do have one other Ortofon as a Donor Cart' to go for a rebuild, but there is no rush.

The good thing about Cart's is that many that are sought after are from a range within a Brand, and because of this there is going to be a family trait that can be detected.

If you visit the link I have made available for Juergen, there is a vast range of Cart's that have been used and assessments offered.  

I think its important to get a cartridge that works well with the tone arm it will be mounted to. What are people using with that arm?? This is a good place to start.

Matt M

I think its important to get a cartridge that works well with the tone arm it will be mounted to. What are people using with that arm?? This is a good place to start.

I just got a new (used) arm which is adjustable from ~11.5 to 19 grams of equivalent mass. So I can use all but the highest compliance carts.

If you visit the link I have made available for Juergen

I am trying to find the Juergen link.