Local pick up only…

I am seeing more and more ads specifically for speakers where the seller is accepting local pick up ONLY. As much as I understand why this could be very convenient for the seller, it definitely limits the buyer options. Sure the shipping prices are getting higher but, is this where the used market classifieds are heading?

128x128analoguefan

Don't ever try to convice someone who doesn't want to ship a component to ship it.  Nothing good can come of that.  once it gets lost or broken it is your fault.  Move on and find another one.  

I bought an amp recently and the seller said:  "I wil double box it myself better than the original packaging" or something like that.  That's the confidence you wnat to see. 

Jerry

As said above, it’s their choice. 

Another reason for this is also the new tax implications for Venmo and PayPal reporting transactions as income. 

A local deal will usually be cash. 

It is simply not worth the trouble for most people to ship speakers.  Even if you have the original boxes (most don't because speaker boxes are so large and hard to store), it is so easy for speakers to be damaged in shipping.  Shipping is crazy expensive when something is shipped by the most reliable method (air freight).  A local dealer bought some speaker drivers (not even cabinets) from Japan and spent well north of $10,000 on shipping and insurance charges alone.  I would be reluctant to sell any speaker or turntable that was not a local pick up.  This same local dealer found a speaker being offered in Arkansas and sent someone who works for him to pick it up, rather than having it shipped, because he does not trust shippers; his shop is in the Washington DC area.

if a seller wants to do a local sale only, it’s his choice to do so.

a seller would rather do a local sale as then the item won’t get damaged and with the changes that ups and fedex now have when it comes to an item that gets damaged even if it was properly packed and the so called insurance, it becomes a hassle for the seller to deal with this.