Bookshelf speaker ideas....

I am looking for a nice set of bookshelf speakers and will have them on stands.
Want to do some serious enjoying of classical, jazz and soft rock music in my collection. Have a decent 55 wpc Onkyo receiver. Reading up on Polk RTi A3, Klipsch RB-81II and Energy RC10. Obviously, I am not looking to spend in three figures. Called a well regarded stereo store who doesn't do the "boutique" brands and claims there are speakers to be had for around $300 a pair that are "better than monitors".....any thoughts on all this? I am trying to sort this all out and it's hard to find stores that have a lot of brands to compare. Thanks!
moverbob
Energy veritas bookies. had a listen recently run by a Cambridge amp. surprisingly good bass for a tiny driver. very soft and smooth. would be better than 602's. good price new in USA around 400 a speaker. i almost bought myself a pair.
Hmm I was just reading about the studio 20 and was not aware of the differences in v.5, 6, 7 etc. If these are really great I could splurge and get a pair for $1000. Are you suggesting I avoid the v.7? What about v.5 etc. That would be great if you could connect to your onkyo but from what I've been told in a store, the amp does not make a huge difference in this price range unless it's really to high or low in power for a particular speaker....Thanks in advance!
Well Moverbob, I think with the difference between 300 and 1000 means different animals, esp. you are considering used, so you might ant to narrow your ideal range a bit.

For example, I'd be surprised if the below linked Montana Monitors were not pretty substantially better than the 300-500 speakers being mentioned (you might add the very well reviewed Warfdale entry level to the list at 350, though I've not heard it). I own a pair of Montana towers and love them.

If I had 1k to spend right now, and didn't want to risk used, I'd buy the Zu "Dirty Weekend" for $999, no stands needed. Zu is a strong flavor, but lots of fun, and it is a great company -- Sean and the gang will treat you right. I assume they have their usual 30 day return policy, which minimizes risk, and the used market seems to be strong.

Why not give the Zus a try, at your upper end?

John

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/monitors-montana-monitor-free-shipping-2012-10-06-speakers-92841
It is good to get recommendations, but I've learned that you really must listen to a lot of speakers to find the right ones. I heard the Totem Dream Catcher was the bee's knees. But when I went to listen to them...and I preferred the Rainmaker. Bought those instead.

Because each person appreciates different aspects of music reproduction, its impossible to just go on recommendations. My friend Bill listens to heavy alternative, and thus really wants powerful and tight bass. I value the midrange more.

Make a CD or playlist of music you know intimately, and go have fun listening to a bunch of speakers!

Enjoy,
Mot
Well thanks all. What a great community! I have the good fortune of being ~45 min fro some good high end audio stores in the Boston area so I will get a chance to bring a couple of my CDs for a ride. Looking forward to hearing rx2 imagine B excite x12 and more. May have to pass on some others due to width restrictions in my room. I will gladly f/u after the weekend with my thoughts for YOU!

Best to all.