rca plugs - comparisons?

anyone test or compare rca plugs on identical cables, noticed diffences or improvements? top wbt and eichman rca's have "new and improved" designs, are they better, or just different? is it worth the expense to change/upgrade the plugs on a decent older cable or specify the expensive wbt's, where it is optional?
128x128lloydc

I have tried quite a few, but now I have realised that the wire you use and type of solder has a lot to do with how you get on with various RCA plugs.

I think it is a good idea not to swap around after you find a series you find reliable . I have come to rest with Belden 1812 twin core cable for interconnects. It is easy to use and very reliable. I have tried Van Damme co-axial , but they don`t sound quite as good. I like WBT plugs very much as they are easy to use and very well built. One thing I find annoying is when the negative is too near the positive cup, can`t see the point of this. I also use the "japanese " system where only the positive is soldered , the second black wire being tucked in with the gauze and squeezed together rather than soldered. Not too easy with the WBT plugs. But the captive affect by the plugs is  very good and strong. 

Monster plugs seem to be popular, but they are not captive and I find rather too tight on the female. (lost two sockets this way even with twisting. )  Other cheap plugs don`t seem worth the extra saving. Canare are very good with the cable strain relief but are not captive. so I rather use WBT..                                                    I am trying a WBT copy with silver plating. In theory they should be good , but I  am not so sure, I will tell , against  such fine gold plate. I have Focal 926 speakers , B&W with a new pair of Monitor Audio 100 7g to test. I like Monitor Audio, my very first speakers. I shall report on the silver plated RCA plugs.

I  

Good ole fp 126 has always been musical solid little connector and is still reasonable $.I am using the Eti,aeco and will eventually make a pair using klei's.Wbt solder

@lloydc - When it comes to RCA plugs I onty use KLE Innovations Harmony plugs.- they are the easiest plugs to attach to the wire I have ever used

I have tried each model (except the Perfect harmony) and settled on the Absolute Harmony.

I did try the original Eichman Silver Bullet, but this was superceded with the Copper Harmony, Silver Harmony, Pure Harmony and finally the Absolute Harmony.

There are now some other Low-Mass RCA plugs, but I have not tried them as yet.

I use a Eutectic solder because it becomes solid once the iron is removed - this makes for an excellent joint that is also very strong.

• I found that with the WBT 4% silver solder, you had to wait for it to make a solid joint
  • any movement impacts the sound quality  and strength of the joint

Godo luck with your quest - Steve

"I use a Eutectic solder because it becomes solid once the iron is removed - this makes for an excellent joint that is also very strong."

Thanks for this...i struggle sometimes with wbt with what is mentioned...Have some cardas eutectic which does seem to be more effortless

I have the same exact Kimber Kables, one set terminated with Switchcraft XLR and one set terminated with WBT. After a few moths of switching back and forth I have settled on using the single-ended WBT, they just sound better to me.