5AR4 rectifier tube question

I am sort of shopping for one or more 5AR4s for a Cary SLP05 power supply because I’d like to have at least one spare and because I’d maybe like to roll two or three ad see if I can hear an improvement or vice versa. I make no claims of knowing much about the vacuum tube game; occasionally I get lucky & stumble on something that really works for me. As far as the 5AR4, I did a hit at Uncle Kevin’s site, and there were some that looked interesting (I am thinking of one in particular, it had a Japanese sounding name that started with a ’M’) but when I click on it, all I get is a picture of Uncle Kevin’s screaming face telling me "not to buy tubes" (later, when I finally took time to read, apparently his tube tester is down).

So I started doing hits on Ebay, and oh my gosh! I was inundated with choices and the variation in prices! Which do I stay away from and which should I be interested in? Would a 5AR4 from Bugera also be suitable for what I’d want to use it for? Could a rectifier tube provide a big sonic upgrade if I spent enough money on it? Can I make a sonic upgrade from what I believe (I haven’t opened up the power supply yet) is the stock EH 5AR4 without breaking the bank? I would be totally good with the $50.00 range and picking up 2 or 3 different ones to play with if those with experience thought I could improve the power supply in that range. If I had to I guess I could go more (the $100.00 range) but I probably wouldn’t be buying too many of them, and I was kind of HOPING not to go much over that.

Anyway, thanks in advance for the input; I always consider it part of my education.

immatthewj

Enjoy the journey!

dutch made amperex are every bit as good as uk made, though heerleen/dutch production volume was earlier and in smaller numbers

uk made gz34’s were sold under many many names - iec, rca, h-p, sylvania, even realistic/radio shack, rogers (canada), siemens, miniwatt and so on...

I have an amperex and it sounds good.  just a bit of a bass peak that can be annoying and slightly ill refined treble.  

the stock sovtek sounded better imho.  

keep an eye out for an f32 mullard or made by mullard.  

I have an amperex and it sounds good.  just a bit of a bass peak that can be annoying and slightly ill refined treble.  

the stock sovtek sounded better imho.  

not sure what unit/gear you are using, but this doesn't seem right... might be your amperex rectifier is bad

the sovtek 5ar4's are grim, compared to properly working uk or dutch real deal ones (my experience from modwright gear/tube power supplies, wavelength, cary, primaluna amplifiers)

would say it is definitely worth your trouble to try another one

Nope. The smoothing is done elsewhere. Rectifiers also introduce voltage sag, modulation, harmonic distortion and switching noise. 

All a rectifier tube does is take a pulsing AC voltage and smooth it out