Looking for a new "universal" player

Hi All,

I'm in the market for a new universal player that will see dual duty as a video transport and hi-rez audio player. Redbook CD performance isn't critical as I have a GNSC-modified Wadia 861 which is doing just fine in that department.

Currently I have a Denon DVD-3930CI which is great for video, but less-than-stellar for audio. I would just have this unit modified for audio performance, but a change in cabinetry is forcing the DVD player to be silver (to match everything else). Denon no longer offers the 3930 (or much of anything else) in silver.

Here's what I "need:"

- Excellent video performance. Current display is 1080i, but I may have 1080p soon.
- DVI or HDMI video
- Silver brushed aluminum faceplate
- Balanced outputs for 2 ch audio.
- Can't spend more than $5k

Here's what I would like to have:

- solid construction (in the same class as the Wadia)
- reference-level SACD performance

This actually shouldn't be too hard to scare up as an Esoteric UX-3 or DV-60 should work just fine. Since my budget is going to pretty much dictate used and the DV-60s seem to be holding their value better than the UX-3s it seems to make sense to push it a bit and go for a UX-3

Anything else out there that I should look at? Although I can spend up to $5k I would prefer to spend a lot less.

My SACD collection isn't extensive at this point, but it will grow over time. I would like to find a player that will serve my needs for the long haul.

Thanks!
Andrew
esoteric-audio
I wouldn’t spend allot of money on a universal player with the HD wars underway. I’m using a low budget option for very good DVD-V playback (which doubles as a good, but secondary DVD-A and SACD player); the Pioneer Elite DV-79AVi, which can be had for under $1000 and can be modified into a giant killer (if you really like). The DV-79Avi has HDMI, and lot’s of other HT goodies but I think it's limited to 1018i, and no balanced outputs.

It’s a pretty good at CD, SACD, and DVD-A... I did a fair amount of A/B comparisons with my GNSC modified Wadia 831. The Wadia’s CD playback bettered the Pioneer’s SACD and DVD-A but I don’t have a lot invested in those formats… The Wadia seamed to provide a fuller soundstage and better clarity across the spectrum. But for <$1000 with plenty of upgrades available (based upon it’s predecessor the DV-59avi) I felt it was a no brainer. And there are silver faced versions out there as well.

Overall the Pioneer’s build is good but I do worry about the drive mechanism. The draw isn’t as sturdily as I would like.

Just my 2 cents.

Tony
Jim,

I know, I didn't have the 1.1, and said so..... Unfortunately for me you bring the point a little to close to home.... Everytime the AMG MB's goes into the shop, they give me one of those POS C classes!

KT
I would spend whatever you want right now, this war between formats shows no hint of being settled, and it could end up a case of murder/suicide where both get dumped.
03-06-07: Chadnliz
I would spend whatever you want right now, this war between formats shows no hint of being settled, and it could end up a case of murder/suicide where both get dumped.

A la SACD and DVD-A, huh?