8-Tracks and Open-Reels: Who’s Got ‘Em and Whatcha Got?

Hi everyone,

I’m curious whether anyone here is into 8-track or open reel decks and if so, why. What decks do you have?

I really enjoy these old formats just because I find the mechanics of different formats really interesting. I also like to find newly released music that is exclusive to these formats (I think it’s a fun way to discover new music). I have a Pioneer H-R99 8-track deck, a Pioneer RT-707 open reel deck, and a Pioneer RT-909 open reel deck. I’ve found an independent record label that releases only on open-reel tape, and I’ve had luck in finding punk and even some vapor wave releases on 8-track.
What about you? Any love for these formats?
undefined
@wyoboy:

The label is called Orbita. They’re based in Ulyanovsk, Russia and release mostly post-punk, new wave, and cold wave bands (which is a lot of what I listen to these days). That scene seems to be alive and well there. I have a few of their releases and every one of them is great (both the sound quality and the music).

Technics RS1500 has clever u shaped tape path. Switchable between 2 track and 4 track because it has two playback heads. 3 3/4, 7 1/2, 15 ips. You will need a Dolby B outboard if yr pre records are Dolby encoded.

At 15 ips it is hardwired for NAB equalization. (CCIR sounds better.)

Teac, Pioneer and a Sony tube RTR. On hand are about 50 commercial 7 1/2 IPS tapes - classical and rock.

I found a 8 track player at a yard sale, took it home and found an old 8 track tape and within a few minutes I had a working unit. Last weekend we were at a used record store and found a box of 8 tracks and we bought them. We have been enjoying them and it is a good conversation starter, like many people have no idea of what they are, and others it brings back memories and makes them smile. Besides the player and box of tapes set me back a whopping 15 dollars, good value. Now to find an underdash 8 track and a Sparkomatic power booster and I can time travel to the 70's. I know the audio snobs heads are spinning right now, but that makes me smile too. 

Still have the gold or champagne colored Wollensack recordable 8 track player, with the dual meters, everything works. Then again, quality was much better,in the,70’s.

thesemdays, things are,made,cheap w small beads of solder, which break,loose, etc etc.

she is a very sharp looking player.
have. Only maybe 12 8 tracks left.

have purchased the LP and cd OF ALL MY 8 tracks and,cassettes!