My First DIY Power Cable

Thinking of trying my first DIY power cable.  Would like to keep it under couple hundred $$.  Looks like it could be done with products from the Furutech site.  Any other resource recommendations?

128x128jbuhl

@piaudiol

I like the looks of those Iego plugs and I also like how most of their verbiage seems focused on materials, manufacturing processes, and performance instead of the pseudo-technological jargon I see from some other manufacturers of audio products.

I had a hard time figuring out where/how to purchase those plugs based on the website information. There doesn’t seem to be much information out there on Iego. Through a Google search, I finally found them on Amazon and it seems Alex Sound Technology has a new Amazon Store site. Alex Sound Technology is apparently located in Windermere, Florida, near Orlando, but I couldn’t find much information about them. Are they newer? Have you purchased from them? I would definitely try the Iego plugs and will probably go ahead and order some from the Amazon site.

Mitch2, yes I have bought from them.  They shipped quickly and were packed well. Furutech was my go to before, but I'm really liking the IeGO.  Their pure copper plugs sound way better than the Furutech copper plated beryllium copper plugs.

OK , I think I am a bit overwhelmitized 🤔  with all the choices. 

Thanks for the responses

@jbuhl - The choise is actually pretty simple - ask yourself what is the main metal used in the plug...

1. for best results - it should be PURE copper
  2. it should not be any other material, such as..
    • beryllium copper, teryllium copper Bronze or brass
      • they are NOT copper
      • they are copper alloys
  3. it can be plated or just bare copper
    • Bare Copper will tarnish so some kind of plating is advised, otherwise they will require perodic cleaning
    • my preference is Silver plated copper
      • because it has higher rates of conductivity that other plating metals
    • gold plating is the next best metal commonly used
    • rhodium or Platinum are among the worst metals for plating based on conductivity
      • any other type of plating will degrade performance

This is all based on the Conductivity of the metal

• Silver is at the top - at up to 106%-107%
  • PURE anealed copper is rated at 100%
    • THIS was the "benchmark" for all other ratings
    • OFC copper is around 101%
    • the more advanced copper like UP-OCC copper is 102% - 103%
  • beryllium copper, teryllium copper is around 40% - 65%
  • Bronze or brass are down around 30%

What does the metal impact?

• details and clarity
  • dynamic performance

So when you are buying plugs think about them in relation to the attributes of the metals listed above.

Buying expensive brand names may not get you the best plug either

I have tried many plugs and the two I recommend and use are

1. Sonar Quest Silver plated Copper
    • these are very well made
    • their pins are very flat for the best connection
    • they have a heavier amount of silver plating that most others os the plating will not easily scratch off with use
  2. Vanguard Silver plated Copper
    • A good amount of plating
    • but the pins are not quite as flat

Both are available from Ebay for a reasonable price

Hope that helps - Steve

@williewonka 

Do you have any experience with Viborg products?

Do you know what Furutech's alpha copper is?