When You Buy The Whole Album And Only Like One Song.

Over fifty years of buying music, I've bought scores of albums because of one track...only to find out that one track was the only one on the entire album that was listenable to me.

'Losalamitoslovesong'.... by Gene Harris on the 'Astralsignal' album is but one example.

128x128mitch4t

@artemus_5

My wife and I used to drive to Oakland to hear live Jazz and most of the audiences were comprised of old white guys, some with female companions. That club was one of the finest venues for live Jazz in the country and now, very rarely offers it. Instead, they book smooth (so called) Jazz and contemporary R&B. Listening to the Allmans, Santana, Sons of Champlin, Boz Scaggs and the Dead led me quite naturally to Jazz. Duane Allman said he listened to Kind Of Blue every day for years and he was very fluent, indeed, at modal improvisation. So unlike you, I don't hear Jazz as something distant and or unrelated from/to Rock. And I find it very engaging, on many levels. . . different strokes. . . 

@stuartk 

I have no problem with what other's like to listen. For me, it just doesn't move me. I've never really cared for female vocals but I tried to see what it might do over a good system. Again, it just doesn't move me.I like some jazz IE David Sanborn, Lee Ritenaur, & Joe Sample. But i suspect this is as much Pop as jazz. Even Dire Straits doesn't move me . But its mostly due to the melancholy nature of the vocals IMO. This doesn't mean that I do not acknowledge their ability. But it doesn't connect with me. And I'm sure there is music which I love which others don't get either

However there does seem to be an inordinate love for female vocals & jazz among audiophiles. Because of my curiosity, this sparks my question of whether the OP (and others) are listening to it because it is the "in thing" to do. Or do they truly like it. If the later, then great. You seem to fit that group.

lg1

I have to chuckle regarding the Billy Cobham 'Spectrum' album.

The only tune I can listen to on that album is 'Snoopy's Search/Red Baron'.

Nearly 50 years later, it is still the only cut on the album worth my time.

Different strokes for different folks.

Yeah, I agree about 45's. I've got a shoe box of them.

Man, you must have some big feet!

Streaming is essentially free if you choose. There is a free version of Spotify (with ads). It can be a great tool for discovery and listening before buying. As an example, if you find an "album" that is interesting to you, search for the album on Spotify. Click on the album, and you'll get a list of tracks, including how many times each track has been streamed. You'll often see that a popular track has been streamed many times more than the other tracks on the album. Spot check of few of the tracks. If you like them, stream the whole album. If you spot check the most popular tracks, and still don't like the album, move on. Lastly, if you like the album, buy it on your favorite format. I've added a lot of newer vinyl to my collection after first trying it on Spotify.