MM phono preamp upgrade for $1000?

I have a VPI Prime 3D with a Nagaoka mp 300 MM cartridge. I’m currently using a Lounge Audio LCR mk III preamp that doesn’t sound bad but I’m hoping to upgrade. My LCR is an early version so Lounge Audio tells me they can’t do the silver/gold upgrades on it. I have a budget of about $1000. What MM only preamps would you recommend I look into at that price point new or used.

emiliop

The PS is really critical… my rule of thumb is spend as much on the PS as you do on the TT

I agree with @ghdprentice. in the importance of a phono stage. AAMOF it is the same rule that Origin Live gives. Even so, I do believe  there are also giant killers as well. The problem is that they are very few and they have their limits also. IMO, they only kill giants as large as double the price. That would be $2k in your case which will put you at the starting point of what a good phono preamp will cost. I am not sure there are any $1k giant killers in the phono pre arena. But I haven't looked either.

An oldie, but a goodie...

EAR 834P

One just sold here (MM only) for under $1K).

Not neutral, but extremely 3D sounding (tailor voicing with different tubes).

DeKay

I am looking at the suggestions everyone made. Being retired and on a fixed income now my budget came from selling off old toys and they are pretty much gone so not likely to go much higher. I came across a good deal on something no one mentioned and I am not familiar with but read good reviews on. Anyone have any opinions on the Vacuum State JLTI phono with upgraded power supply?

• The Ear 834P...Todd at the vinyl Junkie can help. I got a mint used one for just under a grand. Mine is both MM and MC, with built in step up transformers. It cane with the original JJ tubes as well.