Vinyl Repair?

Last night my wife was putting on our near mint condition original Tusk pressing and proceeded to drop it. In the process of catching it, she put a pretty good gouge into the first 2 songs, resulting in healthy pops I'd like to eliminate if possible. I’ve checked out a couple of YouTube vids on how to fix, but figured I’d trust people here to truly know. Seems like my options are 1) Put weight on needle and hope that somehow regrooves it (also seems like no one here is going to advocate for using your stylus in this manner) 2) the toothpick trick which seems to get good reviews and 3) some sort of 1500 grit sandpaper which seems insane.

Any advice pre divorce?

128x128mtbiker29

I’m sure you saw this on some of the YouTube videos… the issue is to remove the little burrs that we’re caused by the scrape across the grooves and are positioned in the path of the stylus as it traces the groove. I have tried the sandpaper method on old throwaway records and find that it doesn’t do much (maybe I just was not vigorous enough). Have not tried the toothpick method. One thing I have found useful is to use one of those stiff little stylus brushes (like what you get with some stylus cleaner fluids) and go carefully back and forth across the scratch, over and over. You will see debris (looks like coarse dust) as you do this. Next, give it a rinse in your vacuum machine of choice (I use a standard VPI), and you are ready to go. Gentler than the other two methods, and might get you close to being back to Lindsey Buckingham’s angst without you feeling the same toward your wife. Good luck!

"Pre-divorce" advice:

If you have a well-appointed sound room, KEEP THE HOUSE!

Far as the vinyl (unless you have the hands of a Neurosurgeon), look here:

https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/10233528?ev=rb