The Law of Accelerating Returns

I totally agree this letter from the editor of A-S.

It makes sense if you have a $10,000 high quality integrated and stick a   $500.00 TT with a $300 phono section, a $400,00 Topping DAC and stream through your phone you will never know the real potential of the $10K integrated. And don't get me going on speakers. 

This article makes total sense but one must live within their means. 

No you do not have to spend a left lung for great sound but it all needs to be balanced. 

128x128jerryg123

When I read the article I had quite a laugh. We have to remember that TAS serves an industry based on the simple assumption that spending more money gets you better sound. Anyone, even multimillionaires, want to think they are receiving good value for their money so the theory of "accelerating returns" fits right into the agenda.

Wonderfully and simply stated.

All the best,
Nonoise

When I read the article I had quite a laugh. We have to remember that TAS serves an industry based on the simple assumption that spending more money gets you better sound. Anyone, even multimillionaires, want to think they are receiving good value for their money so the theory of "accelerating returns" fits right into the agenda.

Well said...

And not a word on the HUGE change coming from acoustic treatment and control... For sure...

Who want to know that a 100,000 bucks audio system is not enough to reach a hi fi sound most of the times...

Helmholtz method is the key... Acoustic is the door...

So can an uber expensive system fix an average, flawed room? If the room cannot be adjusted then what other choice do you have? Tweaks or better components? I choose better components. And how many sell expensive components after comparing to a stone or a resonator or liquid plasma cables? 

The alternatives or choices for most of us is not ultra high end versus low cost design...

Even Helmholtz method will not change my very good Sansui AU 7700 old design in a Top Berining ZOTL amplifier...

But for all people with audio system at any price the main MULTIPLIER of S.Q. is acoustic and psycho acoustic methods...

I used Helmholtz method which adress the action of resonators and diffusers...

I used Classical room treatment too where the SURFACE balance between absorbtion/reflection/diffusion is key...

I even used "tweaks" which work well like Schumann generators at low cost and ionizers...

But none of that will transform the design quality of my Sansui in a ZOTL...

But give me a ZOTL and i will certainly used acoustic and all the other controls i already used but in a complete different way accordingly to the meeds of the new components...

And i prefer a sansui in a controlled room anyway at many costlier design in an uncontrolled room...

In a word if like me most people you own relatively good component but low cost

one it is better to use acoustic method than buying an upgrade piece... But we are not all in the same situation... i own a dedicated room, most dont... I dont need esthetical design, most need them...

Then my experience teach us something that cannot be applied for everyone needs and everywhere...

One thing cannot change, acoustic is the key to Hi-Fi... Not upgrading generally ... Especially if we want to live with a good ratio S.Q./price...

No expansive system can fic a room, and anyway any system at any price will benefit from acoustic...

No one sell a ZOTL to buy a Sansui with a "tweaks" for sure though... 😁😊

But i prefer my Sansui in a controlled room to a ZOTL in an uncontrolleed room...

I hope i have been clear...

No speakers beat the room said an acoustician...I dont remember his name...No amplifier too...But no room will make a bad design a better one...Acoustic method OPTIMIZE the working of what we already have, bad and good component...

The effect of acoustic is huge but only Christ transform stone in bread...

So can an uber expensive system fix an average, flawed room? If the room cannot be adjusted then what other choice do you have? Tweaks or better components? I choose better components. And how many sell expensive components after comparing to a stone or a resonator or liquid plasma cables?

@jpwarren58 Headphones. Or hang a bunch of foil and crystals. @mahgister swears by the.

No mahgster I am not saying they do not work. But if I did that my wife would have left me at the Poland Ukraine border 2 weeks ago…..

That is not flying here.