Cartridge Loading for a phono pre amp

Hello,

I have recently acquired a phono pre amp recommended by Michael Fremer.  It is “THE VINYL”, from QHW audio, Spain.  It got a great review.  I have a Benz Micro Glider rated at 1.1MV.  I have no idea how to set the dip switches for MC Load impedance for this cartridge. The options I have are as follows: 47K, 1K, 560R, 470R, 100R, and 47R.  I have a solid state amp and pre-amp, and also have a sub that I use, rarely.

Any advice would be most appreciated!!

judsauce

This has been a fabulous technical lesson provided by one of the industries best. This has also been an exercise in personal credibility. Desperation vs confidence. Compliance vs torque. What a discussion; one for the ages.

atmasphere @holmz : " " Your target for mechanical resonance is between 7-12Hz. The mechanical resonance is a product of the mass of the cartridge in the arm vs the compliance of the cantilever of the cartridge. Changing the load from 47K to 100 Ohms can easily get you outside of this target window- and that can cause tracking problems.. " "

Where out side in specific: 5hz? 15hz? 6hz? . All you have to do is show it.

R.

Ah you are talking about cartridge stiffness with respect to the arm/cart resonant frequency.
I was only wondering about the stillness changing.
And not wedding that to overly affecting the arm per se, but more as to whether the loading is affecting the cartridge stiffness, and maybe affecting the tracking of the cartridge.

So we are on two different targets, which are not intersecting.

I happy you have a wizard, I am not even sure what it is, but I like to at least have an intuitive feel for physics, if I cannot have a grasp on the equations.

I would want that grasp, irrespective of whether I had a machine that told me the answer.

This has been a fabulous technical lesson provided by one of the industries best. This has also been an exercise in personal credibility. Desperation vs confidence. Compliance vs torque. What a discussion; one for the ages

I am usually always confident 😎, so I have a start on it.

Dear @fundsgon @holmz : " also been an exercise in personal credibility..." , Really? because again   your " trusti man " is way wrong, not the calculator that’s similar to the one in VE.

The Lyra Kleos is a great match for the SME V as I posted with a true resonance frequency at 9hz. Better than that impossible.

The other calculation is wrong because the Lyra compliance spec is at 100hz not at 10hz that’s what all calculators run. Japanese cartridge compliance specs normally comes measured at 100hz instead 10hz and at 10hz the Kleos has a compliance around 17-18cu not 12cu.

Any rookie knows that, even me. Obviously both of you have to follow learning, as today.

R.

@holmz  : " So we are on two different targets..."

Again, for whatever reasons you just don't read in the rigth way the posts in thios and other threads because I was not who posted:

"" Your target for mechanical resonance is between 7-12Hz. The mechanical resonance is a product of the mass of the cartridge in the arm vs the compliance of the cantilever of the cartridge. Changing the load from 47K to 100 Ohms can easily get you outside of this target window- and that can cause tracking problems.. " " 

R.

Dear @imhififan  : I followed your advise and my curiosity and made some tests with 4 different cartridges mounted in two identical tonearms in the same whole room/system. Cartridges were: Denon 103, Sumiko Talisman ( B ), vdH Colibri and Ortofon A95 and I used 3 different of my test recording LPs where I runned for resonance and tracking . All cartridge/tonearm alignment set up as accurate as I can and take care of recording/stylus tip clean. I used too the after market AT vacuum hold down item as Discwasher gun demagnetizer. I did it with and with out using the damping silicon tray in the tonearms:

results in all cases were with out differences because thwe load impedance changes.

I used too 5-6  LP demanding tracks of nor mal MUSIC recordings one a Sheffield direct to two track recording where by a fault in my sample ( I think is a fault but not totally sure. ) in one track several of cartridges have a mistraking in that high frequency grooves. Here the mistracking in the 103 was what normally is no matters of load impedance and the others where the mistracking is really near to non-perceptible stays that way.

Other track was the last third part of the Telarc 1812 where not only has a toruose low bass grooves for any cartridge but at the same time tortuose high frequency with the Carrillon/tambourin/triangle. Here the load changes shows no difference on tracking/resonance and in all the LPs " clicks/pops " were non-existents due to load changes.

R.