Magico A1 or Sopra 1 or Marten Oscar Duo

Hello,

I am looking for a new speaker to replace my 803d3’s. I don’t need the lowest frequencies in my 4 by 6 meter room. So, what would be a good replacement?

Can someone tell me about differences in sound?

- Focal Sopra 1

- Magico A1

- Marten Oscar/ Parker Duo

My amps are: pass labs xp12, Bryston 14bsst2

cd: simaudio 650d, Bryston bcd3.

thanks!,

audiogek

I’ve heard the Oscar Duo as well, but I’ve never heard a rich or full enough sound out of them. Light but detailed would describe what I’ve heard.

That would apply to the Marten Duke 2 as well. The overall presentation is a little lean and light in comparison to speakers with a fuller midrange and bass. The touch with the Marten is more refined and delicate especially in the treble. The sound is smooth but detailed at the same time. In contrast, other speakers may sound more strident by showing a more forward presentation with a brighter piercing treble.

ryder,

A much more complete description of the Marten speakers under discussion than I offered. Much appreciated! I’m quite curious: what would you offer up as rich, naturally detailed, and delicate as an alternative?

Kaitainen,

Full, rich and naturally detailed but less delicate would be Harbeth SHL5+. I didn’t have the opportunity to listen to a lot of speakers hence I can’t offer much insight here. The Harbeth is known to be a smooth sounding speaker but the Marten made them sound slightly coarse and rough. The touch is heavier with the Harbeth as it sounds more forward and slightly unrefined in the treble, only when it’s being compared to the Marten. In and of itself, the Harbeth sounds fine. I own both speakers.

Focal for me! love me some Focal. Just got Utopia Component set in my Camaro ss (insert mullet joke here). They are really something as well as my 836w in the house. Waiting for a deal on some Sopra or Utopias. 

The couple Magico I have heard years ago didn’t do much for me. Never heard Martin. 

Having heard them all--1) Marten, 2) Focal, 3) Magico

The Martens are excellent all around speakers, both the Duo line and the Parker line.  I could live with either.  Focal has a house sound that is not for everyone.  The are noticeably more "alive" in the upper registers and some folks love it while others find it fatiguing.  While I like the Magico's as you go up the chain, the A3s were built to a price point and to my ears, are just awful.  So many better ways to spend $12K.  YMMV.