After years of separates, I'm going integrated. Anyone else do the same?

I'm rethinking my listening room. I want my audio rack to be more minimalist vs lots of boxes, wires, and clutter. I know separates, in general, will sound better. However, at the level of my system, I'm not certain the difference would be as apparent. In the grand scheme of things of Audiophilia, my level of components are mid-fi at best (BHK Pre, First Watt J2, Elac PPA-2 phono, Pro-ject s2 Dac, ZU Omen Defs)

I'm favoring one of the Luxman Class A's (I know Luxman is getting out of the Class A business. The only way I would favor a built-in Dac is if it were upgradable like McIntosh or Accuphase. I'm guessing a Luxman or Mac built-in phono would sound just as good as to what I have now (Elac PPA-2).

So the question is, who else has gone to integrated? Do you regret the move or are you glad you did?

aberyclark

So according to op,  BHK and first watt are mid-fi? At best?? Huh... Wow... 

My Made in  U.S.A. Coda -CSIB  integrated amplifier is a Excellent  integrated, Many people still don’t know that Coda has been around over 35 years and all were Engineers with Nelson Pass at Threshold under Nelson went solo ,Coda has 3 power options for the same monies up to 18  1st watts into pure class A , the biggest low noise potted toroidal transformer I have ever seen at under $15k   It’s 3,000 Va  and over 120 short term amps on demand . Beware  of companies using cheap silver round  Alps volume pots ,they degrade low level detail for sure , the Coda has a Electronic Burr Brown class A  type it has Mosfets,fet, and 40 bipolor transistors on the outputs, 10 year warranty for $6500 or less, a true Great bargain in Audio .  Mike at Audio Archon is great to deal with and very competitive .

I went the opposite route.  I actually started with an integrated system.  Some cheap Japanese junk by Hitachi back in the 80s.  I then got into surround sound and my music playback was via a series of surround sound receivers.  My first "serious" integrated system was a Peachtree Nova 150.  

I moved to separates because I was unable to source an integrated that I could afford/live with, that featured bass management. I have perennially faced space constraints which dictated bookshelf speakers with understandably limited capacity for bass reproduction. 

Although I eventually managed to upgrade my living space and now use Canton floor standers for my main system, I still use separates because I like the flexibility when upgradeitis strikes.  In my bedroom system I use Kef LS50s driven by separates which allows me to channel the signal through a subwoofer with a highpass filter that reduces the load on the little Kefs. 

I"m fully cognizant that there are other means of accomplishing this, but there is a limit to how "separate" I want to get! :-)

Last August 2021 I made the decision to scale back. I wanted a simple system consisting of an integrated amplifier and good CD player. I had an Oppo BDP105D > Ayre Cx-7emp player > Ayre K-5xeMP Preamp > Mark Levinson no.334 > Totem Forest Signature Speakers. I also had a classic Anthem I225 Integrated that pulled duty on occasion.

I selected the Naim Supernait 3 and their CD5si. Then I discovered that the CD5si was an entry level component. As a result I kept the Oppo BDP105D and purchased a Supernait 3. Then a Naim nDAC along and their Super Lumina DIN5-5. Thinking I was satisfied I jammed until March 2022. Then after hearing what the 3 piece system could provide I wanted more. I purchased a Teddy Pardo XPS and their TeddyCap SE. The Teddy XSP came with a free prototype power cable. So far it’s pulling it’s own weight.

Summation: I started with a 5 piece system and I'm now back to a 5 piece system. However I’ve gotta give it to Naim, their kit sounds amazing. The Teddy Pardo power products are quiet good as well. Better than Naim’s? Dunno but I really like Naim’s Integrated amp. 80 Naim watts/400VA transformer!

N