Streamer vs renderer vs music server...help

I have been reading a lot of the forum posts to try understand my best path forward for my digital frontend.  Within the posts on streaming all these terms seem to come up with recommended brands but I am now somewhat confused as to what I need to get the best source sound quality to my DAC.  I don't know if I need a streamer, a dedicated music server, a renderer, a bridge, a roon endpoint, a combination of, or something else.  Looking for some education so I can then zero in on some options.  

I mostly stream tidal so I don't necessarily need to pay extra for CD ripping or file storage capabilities, however I won't discount these options if they come with the component that has great sound quality. Basically, how best do I get the Tidal stream to my DAC, preferably using Roon as the controller (open to other options if SQ is improved with different components).

I have a Leben CS600x, Devore 0/96s, and currently an Auralic Vega G2 but I am looking to change to the Holo Audio May KTE or a TotalDac.  The Vega has the built in streamer and lighting controller but I also use the Vega as a Roon endpoint with the Roon controller (I think that's how it works?)  The Roon core is currently on my iMAC.

Sorry for starting another post!  I tried to piece it together from other posts but there were too many types of components mentioned in the chain before the DAC that I didn't fully understand.

crandell25

@sns I don't have a vinyl setup but I am starting to question that decision with all the streaming complexities to get it right.  :)

The G2 is a great unit and you're right, the easiest path is to just add the Aries G2.1 and move on.  I am going to see if I can find one to demo.  Maybe the Aries will remove the itch to try a new DAC and all the unknowns that change will bring!  I definitely like Roon better than the Auralic controller.  That said, it is not a bad user experience so I could lean toward it if I get the sound quality right.

@audiotroy thanks for the info and the recommendation, I will take a look!

op

good advice given already

if you are just streaming tidal and you already know auralic’s stuff, then just get an auralic streamer (aries) and then use it to feed your future dac of choice

your vega does all that but it’s dac is integral, no digital output is offered iirc to drive other dacs, so if you are wanting to play with other dacs (holo may etc etc) and explore their sound quality, the vega needs to go

then you can also retire your outboard i-mac too, it becomes unnecessary unless you want to run roon (once again - not necessary if using tidal connect on the aries) - the aries will do what is needed and it will be less noisy (electrically) than the imac

@jjss49 agreed, some great advice and knowledge shared on the thread.  It has really helped me get a better understanding of how the digital pieces fit together and what would work best for my situation.  I do think a good dedicated streamer, regardless of my dac choice is currently a missing link. The comments have also helped get a better understanding of how Roon works and how others have implemented a dedicated core...to get the best out of that solution.  Lots of good stuff for me to digest!

HMI.  Human Machine Interface. 

Fancy title for app used to control your digital source?

Are there any reviews out there that address the pros and cons of these apps?

I stream exclusively and have been using the new NODE connected to a Qutest (w/ SBooster) via a high quality USB.  It's a $3000 outlay that likely provides me with 95+% of the sonic benefit my ears can detect.  Long-term, I may not remain in the BluOS camp, but it seems to be one of the few current OS' with the capacity to offer the broadest access to quality streaming content.  And, as streaming technologies quickly evolve, I'd rather incur a potentially slight compromise in SQ to investing significant dollars in an ecosystem that might eventually struggle to scale against the competition.  Good luck!