Audio Research Ref 75 SE: Replace 20A IEC inlet with 15A

Has anyone successfully replaced the 20A IEC inlet with a 15A to use a good 15A power cord?  I am currently using 2 Voodoo adapters: a 20A female to 15A male + a right-angle 15A adapter due to the depth of the amp causing it to come up against the wall.  Less than ideal, but works fine and sounds great.

Since the amp doesn't require 20A circuit it would be nice to replace the 20A inlet on the amp with a good quality 15A inlet for a direct connection to the power cord.

If anyone has done this, which 15A inlet did you use?  Does it fit well in the amp's cutout and were you able to use the existing screw on connectors to fasten the internal wires or did you have to solder them?

eugene81

I don't think it's a good idea to take an amp that is 20 amp capable and put a 15amp plug on it. It could cause future owners an issue, a very bad issue. Have someone make up a cable for you. 

I already have a nice, and expensive, 15A power cord that I like and matches all other cabling in my systems so I'd rather not have to buy another expensive power cord of a different kind and options for 20A to 15A are limited.  But, the cable manufacturer is receptive to custom modifications so you bring up a good point and maybe I'll have them replace the 15A female connector with a 20A.  That is probably the path of least resistance.

The annoying part is that if I move on from ARC, I have a next to useless power cord that I'll need changed back to 15A again.  "First world problems" as they say.

Thanks!

@russ69 I don't see how that would cause a future owner a problem unless they only have 20A wall socket.