Has the cost of HiFi gotten a bit too much?

I don't have any specific example but just from looking at it overall, it seems like high-end components prices have really risen more than inflation.  

Or may be it is must me?

andy2

A nice convertible Bentley will cost a couple hundred thousand. The price of cars is just getting too expensive!! 

A nice convertible Bentley will cost a couple hundred thousand. The price of cars is just getting too expensive!! 

High end stuffs do cost a lot more money but the issue I raised is that the cost has risen quite a bit lately.

New "Hi End" audio equipment is very high now.  People talk about how the prices back in the day was reasonable.  But, that is also relative to what a person could afford back then.  The salaries were very much lower back then also.

So, it's all relative.

But, the used audio equipment market is still fairly strong price wise.  Especially when a manufacturer discontinues a very good piece and replaces it with a new piece.  Then the people in the amp of the month club will sell their piece to replace it with the newer piece.  Great for some of us, because that piece they are selling was exactly what we were looking for but couldn't afford until the replacement piece came out.

Cars on the other hand have gotten ridiculous. seriously.  especially used cars.  That is just greed plain and simple. 

I remember after college in the very early 80's I purchased a top end Yamaha system (don't laugh, it was quite nice) and I think Klipsh speakers.  I enjoyed that very much and thought it was "high end".  Then found out about Mark Levinson, Thiel, etc. and others and found a totally different level.  But, the prices back then for a newly printed Engineer was still out of range for me.  So, to me it's all relative.

Unless one has the money for new out of the box products, then the used market is the way to go in audio.  But, if you have a good relationship with a reputable audio dealer, say for example Randy at Optimal Enchantment in Santa Monica (now retired), who would let you take equipment home for in-home demonstrations, that is best.  Randy would simply put an album on the system, sit back while you listened to your preferred equipment and smile knowingly.

enjoy

on the bright side you can buy a integrated today for a grand that will trump a 5 grand amp built 20 years ago