Optical vs Ultra Rendu.

Is it worth the $696 more to go with the optical Rendu:

https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/collections/recommended-solutions/products/systemoptique-server-player-combo-sonictransporter-i5-or-i7-cdr-opticalrendu-4-port-gigabit-switch-with-fiber-port-and-power-supplies

Over the standard (ethernet connected) ultra Rendu:

https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/collections/audio-server/products/premier-server-player-combo-sonictransporter-i5-ultrarendu-7v-linear-power-supply

Has anybody compared these units, is there a notable difference in sound quality between these two?  Both still connect to the DAC via USB. 

high-amp

What I don’t understand is do I need 2 optical Rendu ?

my setup from modem to router ,then long run of WWorld starlight cable 

to uptone Etherregen to AQ Diamond Ethernet cable ,to dedicated Audio computer to Final Touch Audio Callisto usb cable . What’s needed to make the optical rendu work in my system ?

@audioman58 -- I have the opticalRendu in my second (home office system). SmallGreenComputers sell a bundle that includes a separate power supply and an FMC bundle -- the cost of the bundle adds an extra $200 I think. My system is setup like this ...

Router >> Switch (which is optional) >> ethernet cable >> media converter >> fiber optics cable >> opticalRendu >> USB >> DAC

The only additional step compared to other streamers is that you insert a fiber-to-ethernet converter in between the streamer and your ethernet connection. It sounds more complicated than it really is. The other option is to buy a network switch that supports fiber optics output.

Ok Thank you , I take it I need 2 Ethernet cables or 3  from modem to router at least one Ethernet cable then rendu optical to a rj45 Ethernet converter ,then run fiber optic to another optical rendu then Ethernet cable to computer, from computer 

usb cable to dac , plus linear power supplies ,the optical Rendu I thought like 

$1200  each , is this correct ? Total outlay $$ wise around $4 k ,

unless there is a much easier less expensive way .

thanks much Everyone forthe options and assistance ,please letme know the$$ cost ,

@audioman58 -- you don't need two opticalRendus. You can get the opticalRendu bundle (which gives you everything you need to set it up) for under $1700. I'm not sure why you think you need two opticalRendus. I have only one in my system and it is a really good streamer for the price.

Your setup would be modem>(via ethernet cable)router>FMC>(via optical cable)OpticalRendu>USB in on dac. OpticalRendu $1500 plus FMC $25 or so, $6 optical cable, plus lps for opticalrendu and FMC (optional lps). Get good power supply for OpticalRendu, best you can afford.

At some point you may want to look into getting a switch rather than going out from relatively noisy router.