Sad to say I need a new amp…

My twenty year old Mesa Tigris went up in smoke last week. It’s so thoroughly overbuilt I thought she would last forever. Lots of smoke and strong pungent odor, actually has to air the house out. I’ll call Mesa but think it’s time for a change…

The Mesa was hooked up to some Totem mites and a small REL subwoofer in my bedroom/office. So far, I’ve done some reading and have come up with some possible replacement. After my smoke out, I’m thinking solid state in the bedroom… I use a little audioengine Bluetooth receiver for my source in my office..

Exposure 2510, VanAlstine SET 120, Belles Aria and Rega Brio all sound like they would work well. Appreciate any input on these or others. Hoping to keep the cost under 2500.  I listen mostly to jazz, classical music..

wb27

@wb27 so when the wife/spouse says why are u spending big dollars on an amplifier u have a much better excuse than most of us. I tell my wife, I just wanted another amp. At least u can say that your amp died on you!

@wb27 

Watching this thread with interest.

If I were you, I would do further research on who to use, for shipping: USPS, UPS, FedEx, DHL, etc.

Good Luck on your Mesa repair.

op

the small totems are pretty revealing, so you shouldn’t cheap out on the amp - you have a good list

i would add, potentially, a lower model hegel or the sony ta1-1es... lovely sound, modest price at the $1300-1700 price level

Thanks, your right about the Mites, though I’m starting to think they are meant for closer listening.  I think they sound much better when you get closer than usual. Now that it’s my only stereo - playing around with it and getting the speakers on proper stands and getting closer helped a lot.  Office/bedroom in flux lol