Cassette decks. How good can it get?

I know some guys are going to just want to say a bunch of negative stuff about tape decks and tell me how bad they sound.  There is a lot of music that comes out on tape only (you usually get download too) so I have been acquiring quite a stack of cassettes.  I have a couple of Nakamichi decks BX100 and BX300. The 300 is not working and was thinking of trying to repair.  I am wondering how good of sound you can get out of cassette?  Has anyone taken the leap up to something like the much more expensive Nakamichis or other brands even.  I enjoy the sound. Mainly it's the background noise more than anything but even that is somewhat tolerable.  

128x128ejlif

My JVC KD-A77 I brought new still sounds great , it was good enough for Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab . I'm going to sell it .I just found a Technics RS 9900 US in perfect condition I'll keep this one 

Nak 1000 and Nak Dragon are about the best. Adjustable azimuth heads help. We hooked up the 1000, I think, and A-B’d it with the vinyl back in the day.

Biggest difference was that the Nak added a hard-to-describe "hollow" sound to the playback. Other than that, it was identical (Audio Research/Magnepan system) using a Linn Sondek, as I remember. Can’t remember the cartridge--moving coil, I am sure, but we also tried it with moving magnet ones as well.

I think Tandberg had a good one as well...hard to remember that far back any more.

Cheers!

@richopp The Tandberg model you are referring to might be 3014/3014A. They're great at what they do with  lowly cassette tape.

I love cassette decks. I would collect them all if I could. I think some people (like probably many posting on this thread) love using and tweaking them to listen to their favorite music. They provide a music experience. I've had a few like my Nak 600 console and I loved my Pioneer  CT-F1000, I kick myself for selling it back in the 80's. I currently use and love my Nak DR-3. I have been listening to cassette tapes lately that I recorded in the early 80's of a radio show recorded on my 600. They still sound good, I used TDK SA and Maxell high end tapes of the day. I uploaded many to the U tubes.

I guess I'm the only one on this forum who had/has a Kyocera.  I loved my D-811 (Dolby B, C and HX Pro), 3 motor, dual capstan, direct drive transport.  Stereo Review lab measurements with TDK MA tape: S/N A wtd - 73.4; 25-20k +-3db.  I'd like to get it refurbished, but can't find a competent tech to do it for less than an arm and two legs.  I'll have to make do with my Nak CR-3a.  https://www.hifi-classic.net/review/kyocera-d-811-482.html