Cassette decks. How good can it get?

I know some guys are going to just want to say a bunch of negative stuff about tape decks and tell me how bad they sound.  There is a lot of music that comes out on tape only (you usually get download too) so I have been acquiring quite a stack of cassettes.  I have a couple of Nakamichi decks BX100 and BX300. The 300 is not working and was thinking of trying to repair.  I am wondering how good of sound you can get out of cassette?  Has anyone taken the leap up to something like the much more expensive Nakamichis or other brands even.  I enjoy the sound. Mainly it's the background noise more than anything but even that is somewhat tolerable.  

128x128ejlif

@richopp The Tandberg model you are referring to might be 3014/3014A. They're great at what they do with  lowly cassette tape.

I love cassette decks. I would collect them all if I could. I think some people (like probably many posting on this thread) love using and tweaking them to listen to their favorite music. They provide a music experience. I've had a few like my Nak 600 console and I loved my Pioneer  CT-F1000, I kick myself for selling it back in the 80's. I currently use and love my Nak DR-3. I have been listening to cassette tapes lately that I recorded in the early 80's of a radio show recorded on my 600. They still sound good, I used TDK SA and Maxell high end tapes of the day. I uploaded many to the U tubes.

I guess I'm the only one on this forum who had/has a Kyocera.  I loved my D-811 (Dolby B, C and HX Pro), 3 motor, dual capstan, direct drive transport.  Stereo Review lab measurements with TDK MA tape: S/N A wtd - 73.4; 25-20k +-3db.  I'd like to get it refurbished, but can't find a competent tech to do it for less than an arm and two legs.  I'll have to make do with my Nak CR-3a.  https://www.hifi-classic.net/review/kyocera-d-811-482.html

I have a simple Nak deck, and love it for the times I use it (have quite a few cassettes from ‘back in the day’). 

But really, I find it isn’t always so much the deck (I’m not underestimating it’s importance) but rather the quality of the tape. Or, if a retail production tape, when it was produced. And if the the tape is not damaged in a variety of ways. Personally I have found the ‘production’ record label offerings fro the mid/late 80’s into the 90’s most often are pretty darn good. I have very few retail tapes from the 70’s that sound anywhere near as good. In terms of blank tapes, I only used Maxwell and TDK ‘metal’ tapes, and if in good shape, still sound very good. But they cost a fortune today. 

In todays world, (unlike in the past when you had to record vinyl to play in your car, as example), I’m not sure recording to cassette tapes is preferable to either vinyl or a good digital rig and streaming service. But, as I say, I have quite a few good record label tapes I still enjoy from the ‘golden era’ of tape production, and almost always prefer them to CD’s of the same period, but almost always less so than vinyl.

I’ve never had the really high-end cassette decks, but I’m very happy with a JVC KD-S201.  It’s very cool-looking.  I’ve made wonderful sounding tapes sourced from  vinyl, CD, YouTube, etc.  Pre-recoded tapes (the good ones - we know how bad tapes can get) sound great as well.

There is virtually no benefit to cassettes.  They do nothing better than other formats, and in all but a few areas (they’re not worse than 8-tracks, for instance, and are easier to store) they do it worse.  

Perhaps this is just generation-related, but I really love making mix-tapes.  One could share a playlist on a streaming platform, one could burn a CD for someone, one could digitize analog-sourced music and then share that music via CD, all of these methods would yield better sounding music than cassettes.

For me, there’s something very fun about the cassette-dubbing process, and something fun about listening to them, something fun about sharing mix-tapes.  
I wish I could speak to a Nakamichi, but I’m sure it’s more than qualified for the job.  I’m a pretty fussy dude, and I enjoy that JVC just fine.